We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help? Suprise 40th Trip

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help? Suprise 40th Trip

We are staying in SFO for 2 days. Right now, I'm so stressed since it's crush time I have booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Napa. But part of me feels we should stay in Sonoma instead. I've read it's less touristy if that's possible and less crowded. I really want to go to Bottega, Del Dotto vineyard, Rutherford Hill, Ledson and I am open for other suggestions. Should I plan on us staying somewhere else? I do NOT want to drink and drive and plan on hiring a tour guide. Is it better to hire one for us exclusively since I have specific vineyards? We are staying on points at the Hilton Garden Inn so it would be free. I just don't know if that is a bad location or not. I really would like to do one day in Napa and one in Sonoma. Thank you in advance for ANY advice!

Mentioned in this post
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
222 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Rosso Host Company
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Eclectic Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Golden Age Air Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Sonoma Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,942 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help? Suprise 40th Trip

Don't be stressed.

Some of the he wineries you mention are in the Sonoma Valley and some in the Napa Valley.

But if you are not wanting to taste and drive and are willing to hire a driver, the two valleys are not that far apart. It is only 14 miles between the town of Sonoma and the city of of Napa.

It would seem reasonable to find a driver and give him the list of wineries and have him map out a route.

I am sorry, I cannot recommend such a driver, but I am sure the Napa/Sonoma people can.

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma Valley
Sonoma Valley
673 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help? Suprise 40th Trip

Platypus Wine Tours operates in both Napa and Sonoma, and have excellent reviews, and would be a good choice for a private driver.

Mentioned in this post
Platypus Wine Tours
Platypus Wine Tours
678 Reviews
Sonoma, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
London
Level Contributor
983 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help? Suprise 40th Trip

stay in Sonoma it is lovely. Stay on their square. Stay in sonoma hotel El dorado

This hotel is lovely.

Before you go, book playtpus tours, for your wine tours. They are GREAT and will drive you around all day. We have used them twice, oncein Sonoma and once in Napa, both great days.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
4. Re: Help? Suprise 40th Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Sonoma