We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oviedo, FL
1 post
Save Topic
Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sonoma for late February early March. I think we are going to stay at MacArthur Place. We are from Orlando Florida and are planning on flying to California, but aren't sure the best airport to fly into (as far as proximity to the hotel). We aren't planning on renting a car and are hoping to take a taxi from the airport to MacArthur place, but is this nuts? What about spending 3 days in Sonoma with no car? We just want to visit some wineries, hit a couple of good restaurants and maybe do some shopping in town. We just need some good tips on weather/dress, travel and wineries for first-timers to Sonoma.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

No way around it if you want to see anything, rent a car. Fly into Oakland or Sacramento. Sacto surprisingly you will only be about 1 hour from Sonoma and the airport is a breeze. Otherwise do Oakland airport. Don’t do SFO. You’ve chosen a great place MacArthur. It’s very close to the Sonoma town square. Stop in at Ravenswood winery which is close to town. It’s a great winery with a really nice staff. We went in Feb and we needed an umbrella. It was still a great time though. Right in Sonoma is Ramekins which is a cooking school. We did a hands-on class and then we ate the dinner which was paired with wine. We also came away with all the recipes. A really good restaurant right near Ramekins is The Girl and the Fig. French. We also ate at Della Santini which was good. Across the street from Della is Café Le Haye which is a fun spot. We also had lunch right on the square at a place with Moon or Luna in it. Service was great and food was good for lunch!

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

I live about 45 mins. south of Sonoma in Marin and we go up there often for dinner. I think the previous post was quite accurate - we like Della Santina and Girl and the Fig (try to avoid Saturday night there - service suffers), Deuce on Broadway is good, and Saddles at your B&B is a great steakhouse. There are a few smaller places on Broadway south of the square that turn over frequently, you might take a chance and find something wonderful.

And yes, you're nuts not to rent a car. The cost of the taxi will probably pay for the rental car. You'll need to drive everywhere. Sonoma is beautiful any time of the year, but PLEASE bring lots of clothing layers. It can be very cool, especially at night.

For a real treat, drive over to Glen Ellen - a little country town about 20 mins. from downtown Sonoma (or less). Much smaller, a few good spots to eat and some nice antiques shops. I love Glen Ellen. have fun!

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

Girl and the fig, the Swiss Hotel, Cafe La Haye and the Harmony Club at the Ledson Hotel are all great places to dine on the square.

We love the Big 3 Diner at the Sonoma Mission Inn for the lemon cottage cheese pancakes. A great place for breakfast, it is located in Boyes Hot Springs, just a few minutes from the Square.

If you go to Kenwood, Dolce Lunas is a great little place for lunch. Have fun! :)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice for Couples First Time in Sonoma

You will need a car for certain. I think everyone here has provided great restaurant reccomendations. MacArthur Place is a good choice....my wife really liked it and nice spa.

The one reccomendation I will make it to visit the town of Healdsburg. Not far from the town of Sonoma and very pretty (much like Sonoma). Lots of great wineries along Westside Road just west of Healdsburg.