We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to look around

Which Solvang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Time to look around

Ok...I know this is almost a "how long is a piece of string" question, but knowing will help plan our trip and schedule the appropriate ammount of time in each location.

So...We are travelling from LA to San Fran, and have decided to stop over in Solvang for a look see (not the only place we will be stopping and may take 3 days to reach San Fran)

Aprox, and that's all I'm asking, would it take to see the main view points in the town. We would not be going to wineries, or shopping...just looking at the picturesque buildings and taking some photos with a stroll down the street.

Many thanks, and pls ask me any questions if it helps you answer my query.

P.S. It would be a week day mid October when we travel

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to look around

About an hour....maybe two if you stop for a pastry and a cup of coffee.

Dr. Z

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to look around

Hello again Lara, and welcome to the Solvang forum.

If you are purposeful and not distracted by the shopping and such, one to two hours is a reasonable guesstimate. An extra hour for a sit down restaurant meal, and an extra 45 minutes to see the Santa Ynez Mission at the east end of town.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to look around

Thanks to both of you soooo much for your speedy replies, and more so for not "picking on me" re my question as I have seen in some other forums (not to me fortunately!)

My hubby will laugh at your comment about being distraced by shopping Underdog...but I will have to develop some steely resolve and just view from afar this trip. A Danish pastry sounds hard to avoid however DrZ....any places better than another for a truely Danish experience?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to look around

I've always enjoyed Mortensen's although Solvang Bakery is good too.

Mortensen's is at the west end of the "main" street (Copenhagen Dr) while Solvang Bakery is at the east end.

I was just there a couple weeks ago and the fruit danish were incredible.

Dr. Z

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to look around

Hi Lara. Speedy are we tonight, eh? (wink)

Solvang Bakery for my Sweet Polly Purebred and I. Hands down! (I have trouble pulling her away from buying so much bread there, and the chocolate chip cookies are my downfall.)

There's wine tasting shops in town as well. . . more distractions for those easily distracted. You have now been forewarned. . . (smile)

Steely resolve, Lara! Steely resolve. . . (wink)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to look around

Two hours is about right - there's lots of window shopping and unusual collectibles, and a replica of the Little Mermaid and many happy fellow shoppers to gave upon. There's embroidery and wrought iron and all kinds of gifts, upscale and lowscale (is that a term?) and those great aebilskivers (and pans to make them in) in addition to the butter cookies and the incredible danish.

Just south of town is Nojoqui park (about a mile away) with a short walk to a waterfall in season.

There are clog stores and delis and toy stores (lots of wooden toys) and clock stores, doll stores and knife stores, crystal, Christmas and much more.

(Can you tell I like Solvang?)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to look around

If you get there in the morning. have pastries and coffee, you will have time to not only take photos of the buildings, but drive out to Los Olivos to take photos of that picturesque town, especially Mattie's Tavern. On the road to L.O., stop and see the miniature horse farm (no charge), then just up the 101, pull over at Los Alamos, for more photo ops.

Also, if you get off the 101 at Buellton on your way to Solvang, stop and see the ostrich ranch. If you don't want to feed them, just pull over to the side of the road and enjoy them.

If you possibly can, stay overnight, because there are so many beautiful roads to explore in the area.

M. Kelly, Topanga, CA

atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to look around

We are taking a trip from SF down to SD and stopping all along the way. Is Solvang worth the stop? I don't like tacky touristy places but if it's truly charming and worth the stop we definitely will give it a try. I stumbled across it on a website while looking for something else. We'll have just left San Simeon earlier that day. We'll be here last week in Sept.

Thanks!

Dawn

9. Re: Time to look around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, November 10, 2014