We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Solvang to L.A

Which Solvang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
12 posts
Save Topic
from Solvang to L.A

hi,

we are a family of 5 p. - one is an infant, and we wish to see Solvang on March 2010 . we also want to visit LA main attraction - such as Hollywood bl. , Venice beach, Santa Monica , Beverly hills' , Rodeo DR..

if we can spent the night in Solvang or surrounding - how can we manage to see this all in one day (assuming leaving Solvang in the morning around 8:00)

thanks,

Sara

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from Solvang to L.A

I am confused. Do you plan to stay in Solvang, then visit LA for the day and return to Solvang? Or do you plan to visit Solvang and then drive to LA in the morning and stay the next night in LA? It's about 2 hours drive from Solvang to LA on weekends or non-commuting hours.

FYI one afternoon in Solvang should be enough time to see the attractions, add more time if you are visiting the wineries in the area.

Israel
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: from Solvang to L.A

hi,

we are planning to visit Solvang and spent the night there.

in the morning visit LA - the hollywood (stars) bl., Beverly Hills , Santa Monica and Venis beach and spent the night in Anaheim.

Is that doable? Can we do it all in one day ?

we are travling with kids so we can't spen more then an hour on each place ...

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Solvang to L.A

Your itinerary is somewhat doable but totally unreasonable not advisable.

First of all, I do not understand why you can not spend more than one hour in any given site. Secondly, what do you intend to accomplish on this trip? Do you want a 4 hour whirlwind car tour of the areas you mentioned or is there something else that you're looking to do?

Leaving at 8AM?? Drive time alone would be 2-3 hours to LA (as already mentioned) then an additional 1-2 hours to Anaheim.

Good luck and Nesia Tova !

Dr. Z

Israel
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from Solvang to L.A

yes - you actually called it by the name ...

it is mainly driving within sites .

about the time spending - this is what happens when travling with small kids plus i am sure that many of this attrection is not "cup of tea".

so - instead of them winning about it , we will just do a short viewing .

and TODA

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Solvang to L.A

Well, it's your vacation and you know what your kids like & don't like.

Leave Solvang around your scheduled time of 8. Arrive first in Santa Monica and walk around the pier area. The kids will like that. perhaps have an early lunch. Check out Venice Beach

Proceed to Beverly Hills and drive down Rodeo. Proceed to Hollywood and walk Hollywood Blvd. Check out Graumann's Chinese Theater and the Kodak Center. Proceed to Anaheim.

Israel
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from Solvang to L.A

yes, thank you !!!

exactly what I wanted .

I really appricate it.

if there is anything i can help (i see you an "Israel Expert") - please let me know.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Solvang to L.A

Todah rabah. If anything, can you see if you can lower the airfares form California to Ben Gurion !

I should be back in Israel in June or so. Which community are you in?

Israel
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: from Solvang to L.A

what do you mean by community ?

there are many to choose from only on the facebook

not mention the rest :-)

Santa Ynez Valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: from Solvang to L.A

I would suggest taking the Pacific Coast Highway on your trip down the coast from Solvang to Santa Monica...it is the most scenic drive you can take in Southern California and will also help you avoid freeway traffic. Plus it will take you through Malibu and straight to the Santa Monica Pier which is great for kids to stretch their legs and adjust their attention spans....then you could go back on PCH to Sunset Blvd and take that all the way through Beverly Hills and Hollywood....then hop on the 5 freeway and get to Anaheim by dark.

Since internet maps don't suggest the best route, here are the specific directions for the easiest route down the coast:

The easiest way to get from Solvang to Malibu is to take Highway 154 (San Marcos Pass) to the 101 Freeway south....follow this down the coast and take the Las Posas exit in Camarillo (about 30 miles from SB to Camarillo). Turn right off the freeway onto Las Posas Road (plenty of places at this offramp to eat, gas up, or take a potty break). Follow it south until you see signs for PCH turnoff (about 5 miles through open farmlands)....turn left onto the onramp and this will put you on the PCH to start one of the most scenic drives on the west coast. From this onramp, it will take about five minutes to reach the Pacific Ocean and another 30 minutes driving along the coast to reach Malibu. Another 20 minutes takes you to the Santa Monica Pier where the PCH goes through a tunnel and turns into Highway 10.

If you want a great kids place to eat along the way, I would strongly suggest Dukes in Malibu. It is located on the ocean side (on your right all the way) about 4 miles past the Malibu pier. Reservations rarely needed and they valet your car at the front door. Get a window seat and you will be a stone's throw from the breaking waves of the Pacific Ocean. I used to spend every birthday at this location until I was 10. It may be too early with your itinerary, but if you get a late start and are in Malibu around lunch, definitely stop at Dukes to eat.

Enjoy your visit...

Israel
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: from Solvang to L.A

thanks for all - i have saved this priceless info ...

how long will it take via Malibu ?

is it the same time only pretier road?