We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

We are thinking of a small reunion with friends (5 or 6 couples) in the Central California area next March or April. Someone suggested Solvang, where we would have opportunities for hiking nearby, plus cycling and of course winery hopping. Looking at lodging options, Petersen's Village Inn and the Santa Ynez Inn both look lovely. . . but too expensive. We would prefer something smallish, an inn or B & B, but Edison Street is too small. Any thoughts on Solvang Gardens Lodge or the Wine Valley Inn?

Also, recommendations for a nice place for dinner, either Solvang or Santa Ynez? Fresh, local cuisine; pleasant service, nice ambiance, maybe patio seating.

Thanks!

Mari

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

Anyone?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

I can't speak for the regular rooms at the Wine Valley Inn, but I have been inside some of their cottages and found them very nice! That was several years ago, though.

Have you considered staying in nearby Buellton?

Santa Ynez...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

I hope I'm not too late to help here. Solvang Gardens Lodge is nice and within walking distance of the downtown Solvang area. For dinner lots of suggestions. If you are walking from Solvang, Cafe Angelica has a nice menu, very much the way you described.

For a fancier, more expensive meal there is a new restaurant Bacchus, at the Storybook Inn which has been getting rave reviews. It is more of a special occassion restaurant-more pricey than Cafe Angelica.

If you don't mind a short drive, one of my favorites (I'm a "local") is Trattoria Grappolo. In Santa Ynez, nice patio, great food. Decent prices. Their website by the same name will give you more information.

If you are wine tasting in Solvang, be sure to go by Tastes of the Valley. Very nice, knowledgable staff and good wine. There are lots of other tasting rooms in Solvang proper, but Tastes is one of the nicest and has the friendlist staff.

4. Re: Recommended Lodging for a small group in Solvang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 13, 2009