We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Which Sausalito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Does anyone knwo what ever happend to the hippest restaurant in the SF Bay Area? The Trident on the Sausalito waterfront? I still have a few of their cool, colorful psychedelic menus - a work of art! but always wondered what happend to the place since we left the area in late 1970s. At least I have the classic Rock Poster -stylemenu and my memories.

San Rafael
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Keep those menus! I still have their T-shirt, and because I lived with one of their waitresses, some of my daily utensils are from the Trident. I forgot the name of the group of four men singers that owned it, but the Trident closed and re-opened as Horizons with no change in decor. Horizons has closed since then.

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Hello,

Horizons is NOT closed. It is still open.

Another note....

It has recently changed ownership and they are playing around with the idea of BRINGING back the whole 60's -70's hippie theme. This would include the menus and artwork. The artwork on the walls and ceilings are still untouched!

Haight Ashbury, San...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

The Kingston Trio was the Folkies that owntd the Trident.

Frisco Hippie Mike

laguna beach, ca
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

If you look at the bottom of the menu you'll see a soup kettle. . . on it there will be the likeness' of the three members of the Kingston Trio. . . .

Jenner, California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Can anyone tell me if Ondine was or is at the same location as the Trident? I am trying to figure out which of these restaurants was in operation in 1977.

On the road
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Go to tridentrestaurant.com and post your Trident memories. Go to Sausalito anywhere on the bay.

Sausalito
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Please go to TridentRestaurant.com There are stories, pictures, and much much more. What seems like an Urban Legend actually took place and now there's a web site to relive the magic. Go to the web site and if you have memories you'd like to share...this web site is the place to go...you'll see why...enjoy!

Endorfunns

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Can you say "gentrification"?

Wait for it, here comes "nostalgia".

krieger63
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Wow, the Trident really brings back memories for me. I was young girl of 7 in 1969 when I use to go and visit my mother (she was a waitress there) while she was working. We lived in Sausalito for a time until we moved to Mill Valley then onto New York where I've been for the last 36 years.

I always wondered if the restaurant still existed and always wanted to go back and visit. That's how I found this site, I was searching the internet to see if there was any information on it. Now that I know the restaurant is called Horizons and the decor hasn't change it will be a nostalgic experience to revist it after 36 years of not being in California.

Most of all I remember the hippie like psychedlic people who where very nice to me. I remember meeting a palm reader there who predicted some things about me at 6 years old that eventually came true. I'm 45 years old today.

Calif.
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Funky hip Trident Restaurant - what happend to it?

Ondine's is a seperate Restaraunt ABOVE Horizons. It's a great place to drive up in a boat and walk up the dock to have lunch.