We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

Which Sausalito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

I am going to be traveling to Sonoma/San Francisco this weekend and just changed my last night from the Four Seasons to Sausalito, CA...but am struggling between Casa Madrona and the Inn Above the Tide. The reviews of the Casa Madrona appear TERRIBLE on this web site...while the IATT seem Wonderful...while this should make my decision easy...the CM seems very nice in comparison...Any recommendations by those that have stayed there - or are familiar would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

If having a bayfront view--and I mean right ON the water is something you have always desired AND you can afford the rates at Inn Above Tide--go for it! Casa Madrona was a very pleasurable stay for me, but it is tucked back into town. You'll still have some pleasant ocean views, but not the drop-dead gorgeous ones you have at Inn Above Tide. If you love historic properties and are intrigued by the one-of-a-kind details (and quirks) of that genre, Casa Madrona or Alta Mira are your places.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

Forestvillian, I don't know if you're still watching, but if I'm reading this right...

www.marinij.com//ci_8171784…

...the Alta Mira has become a very different place, and you might want to take it off your roladex. Shame. Many a romantic date at the restaurant, way back when. I don't live near there anymore, so I don't know the whole story, but I thought I remembered hearing something about it in recent months.

By the way, agree with the Inn Above the Tide prop.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

Firewind--Wow, that's incredible that the historic Alta Mira Hotel has become a rehab center for the very well-healed! I'm so happy that I was able to stay there and experience the grand old bldg. and the incredible pano views. I have some amazing images over the Bay at sunrise. A lot of people have very fond memories of the place. Hopefully, I won't have need of their new services, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with the possible City permit violations. Places sure do transform, don't they? Thanks for the update!!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

Wow- 25 years ago we had our wedding dinner at the Alta Mira (and stayed at the Casa Madrona.) How times change!

We have stayed at the CM a few times and always liked it. We love the interesting variety of the designs of their rooms and the convenience of being right in the center of things. We weren't getting the views, however.

Lafayette, In
Level Contributor
193 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

I have great memories of the Alta Mira. There was a suite on the third floor of a large Victorian home. The king size bed had a picture widow with views of the SF city lights. There was a small balcony with water views off the kitchen that was great for morning coffee. A gas fireplace, plenty of room and quite. Came back a few years after the first stay and the suite held up to everything I remembered. Great times, sorry it won't be there for future ones. Good luck, I think Sausalito it a great place to stay. Easy to get to Marin's natural beauty and a fun ferry ride to the city.

6. Re: Casa Madrona versus Inn Above the Tide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 19, 2009