We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to go

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to go

I'm on 45 parallel here in Michigan in Oct 6th. We have 30 wineries on the Leland Peninsula and everyone is packed with Buses and tourist.

I want to visit the best wineries, stay in Santa Rosa as home base.

What time of year is it least crowded, but warm (60's at least)?

We don't mind chain hotels and Santa Rosa has plenty.

Which one is newest? We are kinda germ freaks. (kidding), but hate dirty carpet and old bed-linens and I am certain most see alot of traffic over the months and years

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,954 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best time of year to go

As to when, I'd so with late September, early October. Find out when the crushes are scheduled for.

As to where to stay, there are three distinct areas I would treat separately, Napa Valley and I'd look at Yountville, St Helena and Calistoga. Sonoma Valley and I'd stay at Glen Ellen, Healdsburg or Sonoma. Lastly, the Russian River area and I'd stay at Jenner by the Sea or Guerneville.

You can either pick the area and then go for wineries nearby, or know what wineries you want to see and then choose nearby accommodations.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,770 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best time of year to go

Healdsburg is not in the Sonoma Valley. It is closer to Guerneville in the Russian River area. Jenner has limited lodgings. Bodega Bay would be a better choice.

I agree with your Napa Valley choices and Sonoma and Glen Ellen for the Sonoma Valley. Then I would do Healdsburg, Guerneville, or Bodega Bay for the Russian River area.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best time of year to go

Everyone is looking for something different from their visit to the area, Belo. I can't say that I would summarily suggest that Santa Rosa is the best base for any first-time visitor but it is worth considering for some people; especially those who are budget conscious or those who are not focused on the romanticized version of wine country.

Level Contributor
37,186 posts
954 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best time of year to go

When we were in Santa Rosa last March we really enjoyed our time at Benovia and Paradise Ridge. John Ash is a nice way to end the day with dinner there. :).

Level Contributor
37,186 posts
954 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best time of year to go

John Ash is located at The Vintner's Inn in Santa Rosa. :).

Edited: 3:45 pm, February 10, 2012
16. Re: Best time of year to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, May 05, 2013
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor