We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari West feedback needed

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safari West feedback needed

Hi,

I'm thinking about planning a visit for me and my spouse to Safari West (http://www.safariwest.com/) in Santa Rosa. I'd like some feedback on whether an overnight stay there is worth the splurge. Does staying overnight add much to the overall safari experience? Or should I save my money and sleep somewhere else before taking a safari tour there? We live in the SF Bay Area.

Also, does anyone know if they ever have good discounts there, such as through the Entertainment Book, Groupon or one of those discount programs?

Thanks for any advice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,961 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari West feedback needed

We have not been to Safari West for a few years now but our family loved the place when our kids were younger. A smaller version of the Safari Wild Animal Park in North County San Diego.

The stay in those "tents' is really cool. They have heaters in the tents and real beds so you are not really roughing it. The food was ok nothing compared to the restaurants in Healdsburg or in the Napa Valley. You could make a trip to stay on a reserve in Africa or you could go to Safari West. Giraffes grazing outside your tent in the morning. Animals crying out in the night. It is a different experience than a hotel or a motel -- They also take you out on a jeep during the day so that you get pretty close to the animals.

A good special occasion treat.

Edited: 5:51 pm, January 11, 2012
Santa Rosa...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari West feedback needed

Hi this is Mark from Safari West and I agree, an overnight in a tent adds a lot to the experience. The BBQ dinner, the campfire after dinner and all the night sounds of the animals is wonderful and much like the luxury tent camps of Africa. The tent decks are great for sitting and taking it all in, perhaps with a glass of Napa or Sonoma Wine or Port! You will find our "special rates" on our website www.SafariWest.com Hope to see you soon, Mark

Edited: 2:31 pm, January 12, 2012
Northern California
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari West feedback needed

We have been to both the real Africa and Safari West. We have been to Safari West several times and we love it. When we long for Africa between trips we will go for a night. They have the birds and some of the animals will make sounds all night long. Not quite the real thing but as close as you can get around here. I would recommend the BBQ dinner to get the complete experience. It is a little pricey but way less than traveling half way around the world!

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari West feedback needed

Thanks for the input!

Warminster...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari West feedback needed

Hi there -

we are flying into SF and driving right out to spend the night with you from Philadelphia. We have 3 kids 12,9 (her 10th birthday is the next day!) and 8.

Is the campfire done every night? what are the times?

Our arrival is 3/31 with an overnight stay.

Do you offer anything special for birthday kids?

Thank you,

Theresa

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,961 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari West feedback needed

Perhaps emailing the property directly with your specific questions may be better. Here is their contact info

http://www.safariwest.com/contact/

Eureka/Fortuna/Hydes...
Destination Expert
for Eureka
Level Contributor
277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari West feedback needed

IS this an option in November?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,961 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari West feedback needed

Sure why not. It will be a nice place to visit even if it is a tad but cool or rainy

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari West feedback needed

how about a stay in february? anyone done that? it's my birthday and i'd love to go!

10. Re: Safari West feedback needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 14, 2013