We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica public beach?

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica public beach?

Hey all,

Has Santa Monica got a public beach?? I will have some time later this month as I'm in town for a Lakers game that night - thought I may go take a walk on the beach :) Before anyone says it will be too cold I live in England so trust me, it wont be cold to me, lol..............

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Santa Monica public beach?

Yes, it is Lewis Road that goes up to the 101 (still asleep when writing earlier).

Topanga Canyon will take you through to the 101 as well. This is the slowest drive, but very scenic as well. It will let you out in Woodland Hills.

Further North is Malibu Canyon / Los Virgenes Rd which is an easy canyon drive but very scenic, a tunnel, canyon view, etc...

Even further north you have Kanan Dune Rd. Both Kanan and Malibu Canyon let you out in Agoura Hills.

Lastly, Oxnard and Lewis Rd let you out in Camarillo, a much longer drive, but very scenic along the ocean and through the strawberry fields.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much :). Once you get on the 101 - it is pretty open until you get to the east san fernando valley, then you can hit traffic (around the 405 - Universal area).

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Santa Monica public beach?

Juxie,

Thanks again, you have been SO helpful :)

I think i may end up doing the Malibu turning as I have been all the way up the 1 anyway last year and there is other stuff I may have time for down the 110 (never been to Burbank for instance).

One other question although i probably know the answer.........is there no studio tours on a weekend? I am driving back to Vegas on the day after (sunday after lakers game mid afternoon) so i will only be around sat and sun??

Nick

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Santa Monica public beach?

Distances (using mapquest - drive times are generous, no traffic). This might give you a better understanding where roads are.

Santa Monica Pier to TOPANGA CANYON (5.89 miles / 9 minutes)

Topanga Canyon to 101 freeway (12.69 miles, 30 minutes due to slow windy narrow roads)

101 to Coliseum (29.49 mile / 31 minutes)

Santa Monica Pier to MALIBU CANYON / LAS VIRGENES (13.14 miles / 21 minutes)

MALIBU CANYON / LAS VIRGENES to 101 freeway (9.73 miles, 15 minutes)

101 to Coliseum (35.70 mile / 40 minutes)

Santa Monica Pier to KANAN (25.19 miles / 36 minutes)

KANAN to 101 freeway (6.59 miles, 15 minutes)

101 to Coliseum (39.29 mile / 41 minutes)

Santa Monica Pier to LOS POSAS RD (38.17 miles / 50 minutes)

LOS POSAS / LEWIS RD to 101 freeway (8.97 miles, 15 minutes)

101 to Coliseum (56.28 mile / 60 minutes)

England-Grew up...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Santa Monica public beach?

I am printing all this stuff out, thanks again :)

Nick...

15. Re: Santa Monica public beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 25, 2009