We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

santa monica in december?

montreal , canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
santa monica in december?

I am planning to travel to santa monica december 26. Can any one tell me how the weather is that time of year. Is it hot enough to wear shorts or do I need to bring warmer clothes?

Do people go swimming at the beach that time of year? Is Santa monica usually busy with tourism that time of year?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: santa monica in december?

Bring warmer clothes. LA is pretty nice year-round, but it gets fairly cool at night. Light jacket or sweatshirt should be okay though.

I was in Santa Monica at Christmas about two years ago and was walking around in a t-shirt but was a little cold in the shade. The beach and pier were PACKED, but I don't recall many people swimming. The Pacific is generally pretty cold, but even moreso at that time of year.

Hope that helps.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: santa monica in december?

December can have heat waves (some years, we have beach weather), but can also bring lots of rain (one year was a torrential downpour).

It's too soon to tell what is in store, weather-wise, this year. You'll have to check weather.com (type in zip code 90402), when packing for your trip.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,382 posts
5,471 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: santa monica in december?

If you're coming from Montreal, pack lightly. I travel from San Francisco to Los Angeles and tend to overpack each December.

Too many sweaters, etc. which I end up leaving unused.

I would bring one jacket (evenings can be cool), a couple of sweaters if you plan to walk around outside at night (i.e. a sweatshirt if you plan to go to Disneyland at night, etc.), and lighter clothes for the day (comfortable jeans, tops, etc.). Shorts may or many not be in order - last year it was raining so much, they weren't. SOme years they are however and the Christmas pictures look like Christmas in July. Swimming is generally too cold...however with a wet suit you will always see people in the water.

4. Re: santa monica in december?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 25, 2009