We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rental

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment Rental

Hello experts!

A colleague of mine is looking for somewhere to stay in Santa Monica for two weeks. She needs three bedrooms (it's for herself, her daughter and a friend) and the vrbo website was recommended to her. As I've travelled to and trawled the NYC forum a bit, I was suspicious when I saw that vrbo also advertised NYC apartments and I know that to be illegal. Having now looked at this forum, it would seem that two week apartment rental in Santa Monica is also illegal.

So, can someone confirm my suspicions please and I'll tell her to start looking at hotels instead!

Many thanks...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment Rental

try the www.airbnb.com site

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Rental

I can confirm that short terminal vacation rentals are not legal and that enforcement is active. Thanks for checking this. You can check Brentwood, West LA, too. I don't recommend Venice for families.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Rental

They are illegal from what I have read here, hopefully one or both of our Santa Monica DEs can chime in with more advice.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,224 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Rental

If your friend wants to stay in Santa Monica, there are hotels that were former apartment buildings so the units have kitchens but I do not know of any 3-bedroom units -- only 1 and 2-bedroom ones. Perhaps some of the 2-bedroom units would have sofabeds in the living room (or rollaway beds) that might work for her.

Have her check these hotels in Santa Monica:

Hotel Shangri La (4-stars)

Doubletree Suites in Santa Monica (3-1/2 stars)

In other neighborhoods, consider:

Residence Inn by Marriott Beverly Hills

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Rental

Look into the Palihouse in Santa Monica, a former apartment building that's now a gorgeous hotel and perfectly located.

Cal Mar is also a converted apartment building, but is in need of an update.

Oceana Beach Club is all suites, ideal for families.

Basyside Hotel has one unit that has two bedrooms

Otherwise, you should look in Venice, which is great for families and legal for airbnb and vrbo. Stick to the area surrounding Abbot Kinney and Pacific Avenue, maybe look on the walking streets.

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Rental

Thanks all, so much, for the replies. You've been a great help - I'll pass it on.

PS The Palihouse does look gorgeous. Can I come too?!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment Rental

OK thank you. I have found some hotels you recommended to someone back in June who were looking for something similar. As we would prefer something with 2 bedrooms if we can find something suitable and affordable. I have done a lot of research for our trip as we are away for 7 weeks in Europe and Canada and the US. It is always good to get local knowledge apart from what the tourist books say. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,325 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment Rental

2 Lauren, please start a new thread, yours is lost in this other one. Also -- What is your question, exactly? I don't see a question...

9. Re: Apartment Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 01, 2016