We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Beach walk

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
221 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Beach walk

Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting LA for a week in early September. We plan on going to Santa Monica by bus and would like to walk to Venice Beach--we specifically want to see the Chiat Day building and the canals--as well as boutiques/boardwalk etc. Can anyone suggest a good, scenic route to take--and maybe a different one back to Santa Monica (so we can maximize what we see)

Thanks--

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Beach walk

I found a cool link on Chiat Day:

…yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2813086-chiat_day_b…

Chiat Day is located about 2-3 miles north of the Venice Pier and Boardwalk. Not sure of the bus route to this part of town. Looks like a LONG walk from anything else.

I have a friend who lives in the Venice Canals and I was invited there once to watch their local Canals Christmas Boat Parade. Santa was in a red wetsuit on a surfboard. Very amusing.

Here's a link for a local hiking tour:

localhikes.com/Hikes/VeniceCanals_4472.asp

And for Venice Beach:

http://www.westland.net/venice/

The Pier, Boardwalk, and Canals are all comfy walking distance from each other.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,888 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Beach walk

You can walk to Venice, but you don't need to. There's a Tide Shuttle service for 25cents that takes you from the Promenade/Pier to Main Street. You could walk one way, and shuttle the other. Perhaps take the bike path (stay to one side!) there. You could also walk down Ocean to Pico, then down Main Street (one block east of Pico).

The Chiat/Day building is just south of Rose, which is near Abbot Kinney - a must-not-miss street for restaurants. You will tire of the Venice Boardwalk quickly - Rose is about as far as you'll want to go when on foot.

The canals, though, are not easy to find. The above poster has a good link, but you could easily get lost, so take a map. Locals might not be helpful with directions... Also, they are closer to the Marina than they are to Santa Monica. But, well-worth visiting.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,888 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Beach walk

Remembered a link with good directions, for the Canals:

localhikes.com/Hikes/VeniceCanals_4472.asp

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
221 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Beach walk

Thanks for the info and links. It looks like the Chiat Day building is not too far from the Tide Shuttle stop on Marine/Main. And I read that Abbot Kinney Blvd is most interesting between Main and Venice Blvd--so maybe walk up Abbot Kinney to Venice Blvd and then head down Venice to the canals?

5. Re: Venice Beach walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 11, 2009