We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

We'll be in Santa Monica from an upcoming Saturday through Wednesday, and a stroll down the Venice Beach boardwalk looks like fun. When is the best day/time to go (weekday/weekend, afternoon/evening)? I assume you have to balance the lively atmosphere against the crowds. Any recommendations?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

In general, weekdays are less crowded than weekends. Mornings are also a good option since the locals tend to "sleep in" on the weekends.

The walk between Santa Monica and Venice is not that long 20-30 minutes each way all told if you don't stop but you probably will stop and look at or enjoy the beach, look at the shops in Venice, have a snack, watch the goings-on.

BTW, you can also rent bikes and/or rollerblades which will make the commute shorter and afford you the possibility of going further (into Marina del Rey, for example).

Have fun!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,483 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

I would avoid Sunday. It's too crowded and crazy. Unless you go in the morning, as HopSkip suggested.

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

Thanks for the advice. We'll probably go on a weekday; my wife wants to hit the Farmer's Market on Sunday morning. I assume that on summer weekdays Venice Beach still has enough activity to live up to its reputation? Biking sounds like a great way to get there. If not, the Tide shuttle looks very convenient.

4. Re: Best day/time to visit Venice Beach boardwalk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 13, 2009