We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

We'll be doing 'all things LA' after Christmas and plan to stay two nights in the area. I'm looking for a place to stay with easy access and that will allow me to get up early in the AM and go for a run. Would you say Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey is a safer bet?

tks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,719 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

Will you have a car? If not, Santa Monica is the sure winner. Even with a car, MDR is further away from LA. than Santa Monica. But, the two neighborhoods have a different feel. Santa Monica, while a beach community, is still a medium-size city with high-rise office, apartment and hotel buildings, major shopping malls, lots of buses, and, at times, crowds.

Marina del Rey is an unincorporated area of Los Angeles County and is centered on a horseshoe-shaped road (Admiralty Way) which encircles and inland waterway which has a marina at one end of it. There is a boardwalk/bike path (the same one that starts in Santa Monica) that follows along the edge of the marina/waterway, slightly below street level. So, it has a more isolated, 'resort area' kind of feel.

You can run along the beach (or along the boardwalk on the inland waterway in MDR).

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

You can take an early morning run from either neighborhood. The Marina is less expensive for hotels than SM, but further from LA sights.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

We will have a car so driving the area won't be an issue. As long as both are about the same safety wise, I'll just find a hotel we like and that will be the deciding factor :)

thanks

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

The main difference will be that Santa Monica is very walkable - lots of restaurants and shops you can walk to. In MDR, you'll need the car to go out for dinner and everything else. Pricewise, you'll probably do better in the Marina, convenience would be Santa Monica.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

thanks everyone for your input. I've decided on Santa Monica since most of our 'things to do' will be due west from there, though the marina isn't too far out of the way.

Appreciate your input

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

There is a bike path from Santa Monica, south to Redondo Beach that is 22 miles long. You can run along any portion of it. Some of it is cement sidewalk called The Strand, some is on the bike path. It makes for a nice run, with no traffic.

thepixiepit.co.uk/cgi-bin/…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

That's perfect, thank you - I'll be sure to find that path.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

Just go to any street along the beach in Santa Monica, head south and start your run.

Sorry, I didn't mention the path is right along the ocean..

9. Re: Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 01, 2014