We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early December, First-Timers

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Early December, First-Timers

We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary during the 1st week of December, and are coming to LA for the first time! We are coming out to attend the Charles Phoenix Downtown Tour, but would love to stay by the water. We are not really into the movie star attractions or Disney. I looked at The Georgian website and it looks really neat. My questions: It will be too cold to go to the beach/swim at this time of year, correct? Will we be too far away to go in and out of the Hollywood/Beverly Hills areas, more than 20-minute drive? We would like to go up the Pacific Coast Highway. We are into all things retro and anything to do with cats. Any suggestions? Thank you so much! I am going to post on another forum to see if there is someplace to park our rental car when we go into downtown LA for the Tour. It will be on a Sunday. Any input will be really appreciated!!! Thank you!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,367 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Sunday won't have any traffic so you can use any online mapping program to estimate distances. From the Georgian to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills to the center of Hollywood would look like this (the estimated times are in the left column -- after you link, scroll down to see the time for each segment of the trip

http://mapq.st/XrtcOf

The weather will be in the 60s -- give or take. The water will be too cold to swim in without a wetsuit but the beach (which will be largely deserted) will be a lot warmer than the beaches in Connecticut so you could certainly take a walk in the sand, sit on the sand (dressed), etc.

Edited: 3:23 am, October 18, 2012
Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Thank you so much! So confusing! I will take your suggestions!! Especially the one about being dressed at the beach. Can barely get into CT water in August so this will be great!

Ontario
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Sorry no suggestions specific to retro or cats but...

If you like art you can head down to Laguna Beach. They have their winter Sawdust Festival (big art festival) going on on the weekends until Dec 9th. They also have the First Thursday Artwalk (visiting the galleries in Laguna Beach) going on that week.

December is a good time for whale watching as it is the beginning of grey whale migration season and the end of humpback whale migration season.

I know you said that you are not much into Disney but Disneyland is pretty retro. Sure there are new additions but ultimately it is iconic Americana at its finest.

Also, if you do get a chance to visit Hollywood some of that too has a very retro feel. Go see the hand and foot prints of the old movie stars in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater - so cool, and really, how personal - way more interesting than the stars on the sidewalk.

I don't think the Georgian has a pool but if you do end up staying somewhere with a pool the weather might be nice enough for swimming (if it is sunny and the pool is heated). We've stayed at the Oceana in SM in Jan (or Feb - can't remember which) and enjoyed swimming in their pool.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early December, First-Timers

I would look into the Loews, too, because I agree about having a pool. Georgian is a lovely hotel, but no pool and it's not on the beach like Loews or Le Merigot.

Walk along Montana Avenue on a weekend and you'll see plenty of cats up for adoption on many corners (15th, especially). For retro, head to Chez Jay for dinner.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Thank you! Going to check out your suggestions. Thanks for tip on pools too.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Katmom, Downtown LA is not like Manhattan, where you have to find a parking garage and then get on a bus or subway to get to your destination. You'll find easy parking everywhere and there will be almost no traffic on Sunday. Whatever address they give you to meet at will have either on-site or nearby parking.

For an anniversary, I would choose Loew's or Le Merigot as suggested above.

Getting to Beverly Hills and Hollywood is no problem. Getting around within Beverly Hills is a pain. You might want to take the great Santa Monica Big Blue Bus to get there instead of taking your car.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
172 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early December, First-Timers

Thank you! Tour is frim Union Station. Thanks for the tips on parking and the buses vs driving!

8. Re: Early December, First-Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 20, 2013