We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunny California Vacation

illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Sunny California Vacation

Hi

My husband and I will be traveling to LA area and need a nice place to stay. We are in our 30's not really into the whole club scene. We want to do the beaches, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica sites. We are in our mid 30's and not really into the club scene. Want some great atmosphere. Should we stay in Malibu, Santa Monica, or somewhere closer to Burbank. Would prefer to stay near the beach (Malibu) but heard that traveling on the PCH can be deadly. ADVICE? Thanks!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,073 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunny California Vacation

Malibu is in a remote corner of the L.A. metro area. It's a very isolated beach community with PCH running north/south and a few canyon roads intersecting. This is a great area for a couple seeking privacy and a little romance but it's really inconvenient for accessing the rest of Los Angeles.

Santa Monica is a much better choice since you prefer staying at the beach. You'll still need to drive 25 minutes or so to see Hollywood and a little less for Beverly Hills. The Ambrose is popular because it's a boutique-style hotel (about a mile from the beach). If you want to be on the beach, you'll pay a lot more, and for the most part, you'll be in a larger hotel.

Here's a link to hotels in Santa Monica.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33052-Santa_Monica_C…

Good luck!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunny California Vacation

I'll second the Ambrose because of the atmosphere and locale. You're close to Montana Avenue and will feel like you actually live in a neighborhood, that you're a real Santa Monica local.

Another idea is 140 Maison - a boutique hotel in the heart of Beverly Hills, also on a residential street - here's the link:

http://www.maison140beverlyhills.com/

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunny California Vacation

Two words of advice: avoid Burbank.