We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike rentals

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
bike rentals

I have read a few postings about how great it is the rent bikes and ride down to Venice. My question is this: Do we dare leave the bikes outside of shops? If we go to Venice, I know we'll want to wonder around, etc. Do the rental companies provide locks?

THANKS

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,502 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike rentals

Most rental places will offer bicycle locks as an accessory with the rental for a little bit more. The following places offer locks for sure:

Blazing Saddles

320 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 310-393-9778

Daniels Bicycle Rentals in Fisherman's Village

13737 Fiji Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 310-980-4045

Use Mapquest.com to locate them I don't know where you are staying so I'll assume you are staying in Venice.

The first rental place is in Santa Monica which is just north of Venice so simply walk up the beach to the Santa Monica Pier and you're there.

The second rental place is in Marina del Rey which is south (and inland) from Venice: From the Venice Beach Pier, go inland on Washington Bl (the street that runs into the Pier) and turn right on Via Marina and then left on Admiralty Way. At the end of Admiralty Way, turn right on Fiji Way to the shop).

There should be rental places in Venice as well. It's likely that they will also offer locks.

Have fun! If you end up biking as far south as Manahattan Beach, check out Sloopy's at 3416 Highland Avenue. just south of Rosecrans, Great burgers, sandwiches and awesome shakes.

fairfax, va
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bike rentals

Thanks for the great info!

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
208 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bike rentals

When we hired bikes from 'Blazing Saddles' we got locks thrown in. Generally, I got the impression you would leave bikes unlocked at your risk - I think this is much the same worldwide. Two observations I would make 1. Check out the condition of the bikes as ours had very worn saddles that after cycling some way were very uncomfortable - the cycle shop just said "no one else has complained"! 2. We found Venice Beach more tacky than we imagined - look after your possessions down there.

Happy cycling.