We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica Input Please :)

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica Input Please :)

Hey Guys, Maybe you can help me..

My husband and I are coming to California in Mid March and are travelling all around the state. The last leg our our journey is Santa Monica.

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Gateway Hotel? Is it very far from shops/restaurants etc? I like bargains, especially clothes - they tend to be kind of expensive over in Australia. Any tips would be fantastic...

Also what are good activities in Santa Monica/outlying areas. We are staying for 4 nights.

Also is it very far to LAX??

Thanks in advance ;)

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica Input Please :)

LAX is about a 15 minute cab ride and should cost approx $25 to Santa Monica- depending upon where you are staying. I do not know anything about the hotel you mention- but if you tell me your budget I can make recommedations in fun areas. If you stay near Main Street- you are within walking distance of the beach, shops, bars, restaurants, the Sunday Farmers Market, the 3rd Street Promenade and Venice Beach.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica Input Please :)

Hi Solemn-Angel,

Since I live in the Los Angeles area, I rarely, if ever, use the local hotels (other than a stay at the Downey Comfort Inn motel) so I can't comment on the Best Western Gateway Hotel in terms of it's quality. However I have passed by the hotel many times and it looks nice on the outside. There is an IHop restaurant on the premises which is a local American chain that serves three meals but specializes in breakfast (American pancakes, mostly but European pancakes, blintzes and potato pancakes as well. There marketing points out that you can order breakfast at lunch and dinner time as well (which is fortunate since I think the chain does a terrible job at lunch and dinner items).

You are less than two miles from the ocean and through out Santa Monica there are a great variety of excellent restaurants. A particular one I recommend that is just a few blocks from your hotel is The Bistro of Santa Monica. They have great service (they treat ordinary people like myself as if we were special!) and wonderfully tasting and stylish pastas and grilled items in a classy atmosphere with a piano player frequently at night. My favorite dish there is the sinful Fettucine Pesto a la Marco. The Ravioli Messina and Penne alla Vodka are also exquisite as well. The portions are very generous, too! Their website is http://www.bistroofsantamonica.com

I am going to end my post for now as I think you will get lots more feedback from other posters but will continue to monitor this post! Enjoy your trip!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica Input Please :)

"Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Gateway Hotel? Is it very far from shops/restaurants etc? I like bargains, especially clothes - they tend to be kind of expensive over in Australia. Any tips would be fantastic..."

The Best Western Gateway Hotel is 1.2 miles from most of the shops and restaurants near Third Street. Just head west (towards the ocean) down Santa Monica Boulevard.

It's ten miles from this hotel to LAX.

The Google map page (http://maps.google.com/) will give you good directions. Your hotel is at:

1920 Santa Monica Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90404

The Google map page is pretty easy to use. You can type "LAX" and "3rd St Prom & Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA" as destinations.

If you want shopping bargains, a good place to visit is Santee Alley and the Fashion District in downtown Los Angeles, about 13.5 miles from your hotel:

la.com/cgi-bin/…

fashiondistrict.org/ShoppingInformation.html

Mez
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica Input Please :)

My in-laws just stayed at the Best Western Gateway last weekend and they described it as "retro." I was under the impression that the hotel was currently under renovation and that some of the rooms have been updated, so you might want to call the hotel directly to ask them. Based on what my in-laws said, it sounded kinda dingy and in need of a face-lift. But, it's on the lower-end of Santa Monica hotel prices so I guess you get what you pay for.