We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Which Santa Monica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hexham
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Toying with staying at Le Merigot/Loews or the Georgian in Santa Monica or Marriott Marina del Rey.

I note MDelR is a lot less expensive, however, is there any advantage to staying in SM?. Travelling with 3 teenagers and intending on visiting main tourist spots in LA. However due to visit being August wld prefer to stay near coast as a 'retreat' on an evening. Also, what is it like in these 2 places at night for restaurants?.

Any comments appreciated.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,964 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Marina del Rey, while cheaper, puts you further from "main" tourist spots, by about 30 minutes in each direction - and stuck in terrible traffic, so sometimes doubled. You'd have to drive to dinner.

Santa Monica is great on foot, and well worth the extra cost. While the Marina is a "retreat", SM is a city, and fantastic for teens. Of your list, your kids will love Loews - great pool, right at the beach. Nothing but great restaurants nearby, to walk to, at night -- just walk along Ocean Ave or Main Street, and take your pick of restaurants. I can't think of one I would tell you to avoid (well, avoid the ones on the Promenade, unless it's just for lunch).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Marina Del Rey, while very nice is a little isolated from the rest of the city. You would have to drive to any points of interest. With Santa Monica you are right smack in the middle of everything.

Especially with restless teenage kids, i would highly recomend to stick with a hotel in the Santa Monica area

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Stayed in Loews last week and I would highly recommend it. Great pool for teenagers. Right beside the beach and near 3rd st promenade for shopping. It is very easy to get to the tourist spots. AmazingLaTours collected us at the hotel for tour of Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, etc and well worth booking with them. It would be better to be on the coast in August as it would be very hot inland. Plenty of restaurants. We liked the Deli on the corner of 3rd st promenade. Good food and very reasonable prices which would be important with 3 teenagers in tow. Many other reasonably priced restaurants in this area also. Chez Jay, across from Loews does'nt look much from the outside but has real character and great food at reasonable prices. You would really need to book for dinner here as it is quite small. I would pick Santa Monica over Marina del Ray as it would be far more suitable for your family of teenagers.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

From the posts I was thinking that Marina del Rey must have been moved since I lived in LA, but a map check says that it and Santa Monica are still just four miles apart. So I would say that Santa Monica isn't a lot more convenient to all the points of interest in the area, except for SM itself of course.

You're wise to stay at the coast. MdR is great as is SM. Both places have a lot going for them. SM has more restaurants and the beach. The marina has that feel that only marinas have with some good restaurants, and is very near Venice beach and as stated not that far from SM.

You really can't go wrong either way.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

^ I think we pointed to Santa Monica because honestly, with 3 teenagers there is not an awful lot to do in Marina Del Rey for them

While 4 miles apart, traffic can be bad in the area and unlike Marina Del Rey, you can roam around in Santa Monica without having to get in your car each and every time you want to leave the hotel

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

I agreed with texhills re: MDR ... I think it being "isolated" is a bit over-exaggerated. You can still walk to restaurants in MDR ... however, there's no beach scene. In my experience, there's much more traffic gridlock in SM than in MDR.

California
Level Contributor
463 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

Yeah, "isolated" is perhaps a bit strong. IMO notorious westside traffic is generally worse in SM than MDR. But there are main arteries that make the comments about MDR quite true: Lincoln, Centinela, sigh...

MDR is a great place to stay for the right visitor. For example, the general area has some good scenery and restaurants. And if you're a runner... well... it's great. You can run the Marina, the lagoon, down to the Venice canals, Venice beach, or south to Playa Del Rey. The same is true via bike. You can quickly drive or bike to very clean, nice beaches in Manhattan and Hermosa. And, it's super convenient to LAX.

But, I'm gonna hang with Yoga and the other posters' advice for this visitor's purposes. Otherwise, if your needs are different, or you're a repeat visitor, MDR can be a good choice.

8. Re: Santa Monica /Marina del Rey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, October 02, 2009