We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

westford, ma
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

I'll be staying in SM, arriving July 2 and leaving July 5 and staying with my 12-yr old son. I currently have 3 nts reserved at the Sea Shore Motel near beach and at Comfort Inn at 2800 Santa Monica Blvd. We plan to go to SM Beach, 3rd St. Promenade, and Venice Beach at least once during the stay along with a Hollywood tour but we don't have to "live" at the beach.

The big question have is, is the Sea Shore Motel's proximity to beach worth staying at for three nights (able to walk to beach from motel), given it has no pool, no free continental breakfast, and appears to be located on a busy street with low-rise motel?

I realize the Comfort Inn looks like all others and is probably not in the scenic areas of Santa Monica, and is located about 1.5 mi from the beach but it may be the best overall hotel for cost and ammenities.

Hope to hear from someone who may have stayed at or is familiar with the Seashore Motel.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
8,847 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Surf City Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Malibu Discovery
Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,895 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

Sea Shore Motel is just a motel - but it couldn't be in a better location. You can walk to everything you want to do - shop, eat, go to the beach.

Comfort Inn, while it has amenities, is in an awful location. Lots of traffic, you'll need a car for all things, and really won't want to walk to anything nearby (there are some fast food restaurants nearby, but it's mostly all car dealerships, pharmacies, hardware stores and other commercial businesses). The question is, will you have a car?

westford, ma
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

Yes, I'll have a car. But it sounds like the SeaShore Motel is supreme compared to Comfort Inn locale so I'll probably stay with that location for lodging.

On an unrelated topic we hope to head to July 4th fireworks at Marina Del Rey. Any thoughts on best way to drive there and good viewing areas.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,895 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

If you stay at the Seashore (but don't expect luxury, just clean and incredibly well located), you won't need a car for July 4. Just walk down Venice Boardwalk and sit down on the beach at the Venice Pier. If you can't walk that distance (about 1.5 miles), driving will be a nightmare - bumper to bumper. Parking will be worse.

Mentioned in this post
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
8,847 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Venice Pier
Venice Pier
66 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Maryland
Level Contributor
833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

Every time I go back home to LA for a visit, I stay at the Sea Shore Motel for at least a couple days out of my visit (the other I spend at friend's houses) because of the great location! You can't beat it for the price and location! In fact, my friends drive from the Valley and stay with me in Santa Monica because this awesome little motel is in the heart of everything and we can go do a lot of things without the LA commute from hell.

Granted, you will not be getting quiet, luxury accomodations. However, what you will get is a great little room with all the amenities you need including a fridge. Not to mention you will get a lot more money in your pocket to do the things you want to do because you will not find a better priced hotel in an awesome location. I now live in Maryland and have told a few people from here that were visiting LA to stay there and all of them thanked me so much for turning them onto the Sea Shore Motel.

Just be aware that it is located on a busy street so you will have street noise...no doubt about it...but when I go there, I don't plan on laying around all day in my room anyway. I take a shower, change clothes and sleep in it so if that is all you are looking for, you can't beat it.

Everything is within walking distance (great restaurants, shopping and the beach) compared to other hotels there. Not to mention its centrally located to Hollywood, quick drive to Malibu, etc. If you get a chance have lunch at Gladstones on PCH and Sunset or drive further up the coast and have lunch at the Malibu Fish Market.

Hope you enjoy your trip whichever hotel you stay at.

If you have any questions, please feel free to write me.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Malibu
Malibu
California
Maryland
Level Contributor
833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

Forgot to mention one thing...since you will be there on the 4th of July, I would not plan on doing the PCH drive on that day. I used to live in Malibu and believe me...every local knew better than to venture out and would stock up at the store, etc. so they didn't have to leave their houses because traffic on PCH is not fun.

But do try to get to Gladstones (right on the beach and you sit outside) or Malibu Fish Market (opposite side past Pepperdine University) but gorgeous views and great fresh fish for very reasonable.

Take care.

Mentioned in this post
Malibu
Malibu
California
Pepperdine University
Pepperdine University
159 Reviews
Malibu, CA
westford, ma
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

Thanks for the very encouraging info about Sea Shore Motel. We'll definitely be staying there for 3 nights instead of Comfort Inn and, being a lover of good seafood, will certainly attempt to get to the places you recommended. It's also nice to know that we can just hang out on the 4th, having the entire beach area in which to explore and play.

7. Re: Sea Shore Motel or Comfort Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica
Recent Conversations