We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

We are visiting Santa Monica for 3 nights in August this year.

I have spent hours looking at hotels and I think that I've gone mad!

We would like to pay a max of £100 per night and be easy walking to the beach, restaurants, night life etc.

A hotel with free! parking would be great but proving hard to find.

I have looked at most of the hotels on websites such as tripadvisor.

I think I just need to book something after trawling through site after site.

Any hotel recommendations and advice would be fantastic.

Thanks, Jim

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

Cal Mar Suites is within your budget, and there's plenty of street parking within a few blocks of the hotel (if you don't mind walking - and stay alert to the permit-only signs that are within a block of the hotel).

Hotel Carmel is within your budget, but there's no nearby free parking.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

the pound is pushing $2. as weak as the dollar is, it could be $2.50 by august!!! don't dispair!!! it is we americans who are crying about going to europe and south america.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

We are saving like mad for a six week trip in the summer and the LA part is working out to be quite expensive so we are just wanting to get the best for the money that we have available.

The Best Western Gateway Santa Monica is £80 p/n inc free parking but it's a bit out of the way and have read some bad reviews.

I've had a look at the Cal Mar Hotel Suites but don't really fancy it.

We understand that we are restricted by the max of £100 per night but will keep searching.

Any more recom would be great

Thanks so far, Jim

santa monica...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

make sure to also check out the sea shore motel. not luxurious..but a great buy for it's location and beach proximity. it's on a street with lots of cool shops and restaurants and only 2 short blocks to the ocean.

http://www.seashoremotel.com/

santa monica...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

one other option...

since you obviously have a car, you might try looking at the hotels/motels in marina del rey. this area is south of santa monica and venice (actually it's part of venice but is considered a different neighborhood). it is only minutes away from santa monica and it's also on the beach. it's a safe are too. there are some very pricey places in MDR, but there are also places like this:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32684-d84180-R… .

parking is free and you aren't that far from where you want to be.

good luck!

rpj
Coventry, Uk
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

Hi, i would recommend the Cal-Mar Suites.

The beach is a few minutes walk, the pier a 5 minute walk, and the 3rd street promenade is literally a 1 minute walk away.

The suites are spacious (me and my brother stayed there last time) and i would recommend them over a hotel room, especially with hotel prices being very similar. The cleaning staff at the Suites are very good, and the front desk people are always friendly and helpful and go out of your way to help you if you require any help.

We have stayed there twice now (i posted a response on the suites after our first stay there a few years back) - and if/when we go back to LA will stay there again as it has everything we require.

It is very well priced and as it has it's own kitchen/dining area makes it even more economical if you decide not to eat out.

The surrounding area is very pleasant and has a relaxed/chilled feel to it (note: you will see tramps in the 3rd st promenade area and on the costal bluff overlooking the beach during the day - but do not be put off by them, as we have never had any problems/ confrontations etc)

If you require any further help etc, please feel free to ask and i'll see what i can do.

7. Re: Hotel struggle for under £100 p/n

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 30, 2009