We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

Hello!

I will be visiting santa monica in may for the first time. staying at the Loews Santa Monica. I was wondering if someone local could let me know what the current smoking policies are. Is it true that smoking is not allowed on the beach or on patios(restaurants and bars). Don't want to get fined for smoking where i souldn't. basically

the only place to smoke is in your hotels room???

Thanks in advance!

Lilypad!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

On October 24, 2006, the Santa Monica City Council adopted an

ordinance that expands the outdoor areas in the city that are smoke-free. (SMMC §4.44.020(a).) The law goes into effect on Thanksgiving Day, November 23, 2006.

Where is outdoor smoking prohibited

• public parks

• public beaches

Santa Monica Pier (except designated areas)

• outdoor dining and bar areas

• within 20 feet of any entrance, exit or open window to a public building

Third Street Promenade

• waiting areas (bus stops, ATMs, kiosks, movie lines, etc.)

• Farmers Markets

What is the penalty for violations?

$250.

Is all of downtown Santa Monica smoke-free?

No. As long as a smoker is more than 20 feet from an entrance, exit or open window of the nearest building, smoking is still allowed. In locations where that is not possible – where businesses are packed more closely together – smoking is not allowed.

Is there an exemption for smokers who are just passing through?

No. Anyone smoking within 20 feet of a public building entrance, exit or open window (or in one of the other locations) is violating the law even if they are moving.

Are there going to be designated smoking areas on the Third Street Promenade?

No. All of Third Street from Broadway to Wilshire is included. However, on every cross street off the Promenade, there are places that are more than 20 feet from the nearest business entrance or

window, where smoking is allowed.

Taken from:

smgov.net/news/…smoking_regulations.htm

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

You absolutely cannot smoke in your hotel room.

You will be able to smoke outside, on the patio of the hotel, just stay at least 20 feet away from any public door or window.

No smoking is allowed on the beach, or on the Promenade or Pier. Many restaurants with patios allow smoking - The Viceroy, Wilshire, etc etc - and you'll see smokers huddled together outside all bars - but 20 feet away from the entrance.

canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

Hello and thank you for you prompt replies. No smoking in my hotel room?? are you just messing with me? I booked a smoking room at the Loews......

Lilypad

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

If the hotel has smoking rooms - you may smoke in your room. Many hotels are now 100% non-smoking. Loews may not be one of those. I would call and confirm directly with the hotel though.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

I just called Loews and asked if they had smoking rooms - and they do! I'm shocked. I thought all of Santa Monica had a no-smoking indoors policy.

You'll be happy to know that you will be able to smoke in your room.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

Sounds like a great opportunity to quit smoking!

LOL

canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
7. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

Hello!

yogachik!! thank you so much. That was so nice of you!

Anyways it's gonna be a shock going from vegas to santa monica.

alltough vegas has recently banned somking in restaurants.

anyways thanks again to all who replied.

Lilypad

8. Re: Smoking laws in Santa Monica??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 30, 2009