We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions : )

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Topic
Few questions : )

Hello everyone,

Iam travelling to LA at the end of April for couple of weeks. I cant wait as i miss the sun, beach and crazy night life : ).

I decided to stay in Santa monica than venice beach as it sounds more exciting. I was trying to book a hostel in Santa monica and i only managed to find one through the internet which is HI hostel. I find it a little bit expensive with more than $20 accomodation.I wonder if there r any other hostels situated in Santa monica rather than HI at the internet with a cheaper rate and do u think that i need to book in advance before travelling or just get there and look for one? Will there be a public transport from LA international Airport to Santa Monica?

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions : )

Hi Kiaora,

The Santa Monica hostel is the only one I'm familiar with there. It's really quite nice. I use http://www.hostels.com/ to do research for hostels. There's more choices in Venice Beach... but, I'd recommend staying with Santa Monica.

I'd book in advance. LA is incredibly hard to get around in without a car - so don't waste your time and patience with the possibility of not finding accommodations easily. I'd recommend you confirm a reservation and take the worry out of it.

As for transportation, you should be able to catch a bus from the airport, but use http://www.mta.net/ and the 'trip planner' to see how close you get dropped off to the hostel.

Hope you have a great time!

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions : )

Hi lagunagrrl,

thanks a lot for ur help, i did check through the website and still couldnt find any hostel in sant monica apart from HI international : (. How far is venice beach from santa monica?

Thanks again for ur information and have a lovely day : ).

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions : )

Hi Kiora,

Venice is about a mile from Santa Monica. It's really easy to walk between the two, but I'd recommend the HI hostel. It's a lot nicer than any of the ones I've stayed in Venice. Venice is fun - mostly the boardwalk, but it's something of a freak show. Plus, Santa Monica is just nicer all around - you've got 3rd Street, Montana Ave and the Pier. There's generally more to do there. It's worth the extra bucks to stay there. Hope that helps- plus, the HI hotel offers free shuttle buses - check out their website. Otherwise there is a cheap shuttle to and from the airport to S.M.

New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions : )

Hi jill,

Thanks a lot for ur help, i tried to booked at HI but unfortunately its all booked out : (. Would anybody have any idea if there r any other youth hostels in Santam monica apart from HI.

I will start looking for a hostel in Venice next week if i dont get any replies. I tried to look through the internet without success.

Thank u

Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica