We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

We booked the Valley View Inn for two nights to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We picked Valley View Inn (a "non-hosted" inn) which is abour a 15 minute drive from Santa Cruz, based on descriptions on the owner's website. "Non-hosted" in this case meant a vacation rental (house) with a small amount of items left in the refrigerator for breakfast (bread, milk, eggs, english muffins, jams, Folger's coffee).

When we first called the owner, we were quoted a rate of $249/night, and we booked two nights using a credit card (we had to pay in full). The next day, the owner called back and said we were quoted the wrong price. It was $325/night. A little unprofessional, we thought, but we stuck with the house.

The pluses - the architecture is intriguing, the kitchen appliances are new, the neighborhood is quiet, the bed and bedding in the master bedroom are comfortable, and the shower in the main bathroom is good. The negatives: the carpet was filthy and the house had a musty odor. The house shows a lot of wear - nicks in walls and moulding, exposed wood where paint has chipped off and general signs of neglect and lack of upkeep. There is no "breathtaking vista" as advertised, although the redwoods in the backyard are very nice. And if there is a stereo, also as advertised, we couldn't find it.

The price we paid - $325/night - was way out of line with what we got. Valley View isn't even located in an area that justifies the high price. Scotts Valley is a middle class suburban town with strip malls. If Valley View had been clean and kept up, a fair price could have been around $225. Considering the condition it was in, it should not have been rented out for more than $150 - $175 per night. The addition of the breakfast items in the fridge (nothing fancy) did not justify the increased cost.

Our trip to Santa Cruz would have been near perfect, but for Valley View Inn. It was the one dark cloud on our getaway. I emailed the owner after our stay, because I believe owners should hear not only the accolades, but also the criticism. The owner, Tricia Young, never showed the courtesy to respond.

Beware, this owner also owns a B&B in Atherton called the Atherton Inn B&B. After our experience at Valley View, I would be extremely leary of staying at any place owned by this owner.

Atherton, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

This review is totally absurd. We love our stays at Valley View and have been going there for 12 years now each anniversary. It IS a vacation rental (not an inn) and the guest book shows nothing but glowing reports. It is quiet, peaceful, very clean, with a lovely glass wall and spectacular sunsets. It sits on a cliff of redwoods overlooking thousands more and we especially loved the hot spa on our private deck. A vacation rental never comes with ANY food but the owners graciously stock the fridge with coffee, half and half, breads and eggs,, teas, jams and butter, plus juice and pastry for guests. We thought that a PLUS. Not having to go to the store when we arrive at night. These people the Crockets are nuts! $325.00 per night is what is fair and quoted right on their website for weekend nights in the summer. You can't get a whole house like this which was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wrigt for that price! Anyway, I rebutt this stupid review and look forward to our 17th anniversary next year.

Tracey and Ted Tyler, Lubbock TX

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

I feel like renting it just to see who is right. :>)

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

I also wildly disagree with the Crocketts - I can't imagine that they've stayed at other vacation rentals - because Tricia's upkeep of Valley View (and especially the attention to making sure a nice breakfast selection is at the house) is quite unusual.

We've stayed at Valley View four separate times, and while it isn't pristine, it's a quiet, peaceful getaway. As for no view? You can look miles into the Redwoods without another house in sight. Hot tub is perfect and deck is huge!

We have also stayed at her Atherton property - a little less private,but still charming and personal.

We'd strongly recomment that anyone ignore the Crockett review - they clearly are uninformed and inexperienced travelers for this kind of vacation stay.

Paso Robles CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

The Crocketts are totally NUTS or just plain weirdos! Maybe they own a competitive property nearby and this is a scam review! IT should be flagged as a misleading review instead!

This place is GORGEOUS. The view is breathtaking! We love Frank Lloyd architecture first of all, so this place fit the bill. From the moment we opened the front door, it was love at first sight...Beautiful lush carpeting and we respected the "No Shoes" policy, giving our feet a welcome rest. The glass windows surround you everywhere, and the huge redwood trees right outside were grand to say the least. The entire place was immaculate, not a speck of dust, and the circular kitchen has black granite counters, all the modern appliances and dishes, even decent wine glasses!! And they even put in a nice breakfast of eggs, bread, jams, juice, (unexpected!) with coffee, teas, real half and half, and a pastry with fruit on the kitchen table with a welcome note. Lovely robes in the closets for after your Hot Tub, which by the way is a very expensive spa outside on a large deck with unobstructed views of forest. The owners of Valley View must have an acre of these redwood trees, some right outside our bedroom doors and we saw deer crossing the place twice. So quiet there you could hear a pin drop. We indeed paid $325.00 per night, and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY for a prime weekend stay in May. Everything was in bloom, the air here is so fresh and you can smell the greenery and forest. Being from Paso Robles, hot and dry in summer, this was just what we needed for our Anniversary. A totally magical weekend. My hubby used the BBQ on the deck and we stayed in the entire time reading our books and relaxing on the chaise lounges out back on the deck. All in all I give this place 5 stars for ambience, architecture, cleanliness, amenities (fluffy lush towels, luxury linens and Q-tips too) location, (10 minute drive if you wanted to leave to Santa Cruz) and PEACEFULNESS.

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
847 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

Don't know how I stumbled upon this review or why I ever read it but I'm compelled to comment.

I've lived in Middle Class Scotts Valley for 20 years. I am typing this from the comfort of my multi-million dollar home. Yes, Scotts Valley isn't all that on the surface but it's a gem if you live here.

That being said and knowing the area.....that's a funky location for a vacation rental. $325 per night...interesting.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

Well, I am sitting here two miles from Scotts Valley Drive, on a hill, looking at Monterey. Wish I could rent my house for $300 plus a night.

I have to say that both (or all) of the previous posts....both the complaint and the rebuttal(s) look a little .....ummmm....doubtful to me.

Trolls?

(Nice weather we are having, yes? The wind is a little cold, but I love the sun.)

7. Re: Valley View Inn - Misleading Advertising

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 01, 2009