We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

We will be leaving Yosemite area on a Wednesday in late July. We must leave from SFO on Friday morning. Our choice is to drive to Santa Cruz: probably arriving about 2:00 pm, spend the evening, stay overnight, and have most of the next day in the area before driving up to our hotel near SFO for our last night. Or, we can drive from Yosemite through the Gold Country, stay somewhere in that area, and then work our way to SFO for our last night. We thought combining a few days in San Francisco with Yosemite and Santa Cruz might be the best "variety" of experiences, but are now thinking about how much drive time may be involved for that 24 hours in Santa Cruz. From those of you "in the know", would there be much difference in drive time? All advice and info is welcome. Thank you.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

If you want to do SF, Yosemite and won't have time to do the coast, the Monterey/Carmel or Santacruz areas would be great. It will take about 4 hours from Yosemite. Which one to choose. well if you have not done the coast then do the coast, If you are more interested in Gold Country you can do that. I don't think you should gauge it by driving time, you have enough, but based on your interests.

Edited: 10:31 am, June 25, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

They are two different experiences, aren't they?

Here is a traveler article on Santa Cruz. It may help you decide if this is the place for you.

http://tinyurl.com/y4hnbu9

If you are driving from Santa Cruz to the airport, we can be there from downtown Santa Cruz in about an hour. The route is Hwy 17, Hwy 85, Hwy 280, Hwy 380, the last three are freeways and 380 drops you at the airport. The exits are well marked and this is not a confusing drive.

If you decide to be here overnight, feel free to ask me about accommodations.

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
227 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

You might want to give some thought to the wether and have that guide your decision. The Sierra foothills (gold country) can be in the high 90s and low 100s in late July. I love the Gold Country and have explored a lot of it, however, I stay out of there in the summer. Spring and Fall are the best times to be there comfortably. Santa Cruz in Late July is typically foggy in the morning and sunny in the afternoon with day time highs about 72 degrees. I know some people hate the heat. Some people love it.

Michigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

Thank you for all of the info. I think we will go to Santa Cruz. We may plan to tour that area Wed evening and all of Thursday. We can arrive at our hotel near to SFO late Thursday evening, as we are only planning to sleep there before our flight on Friday. Thanks, again.

5. Re: One Night Stay: Gold Country or Santa Cruz???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 27, 2014