We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Hi, First I want to say I have been reading many posts planning our summer vacation and I have found the forums on TA to be priceless, thank you.

I am going to be traveling to vegas 3 nights to yosemite 3 nights then planned on traveling to Santa Cruz for two nights before driving up to San Francisco for 3 nights before leaving.

My question is, is santa cruz the place I want to spend two nights? Should I be looking somewhere else or to shorten my stay? I was attracted to the beach, the wharf, it seemed like a fun place but after reading some reviews on the river side of santa cruz, I am a bit concerned. It will be one adult and one teenager that will be traveling and I'd like to avoid going to areas that have a higher probablity of being unsafe.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Santa Cruz is safe, and sounds like a good match for you and a teenager.

www.santacruzca.org

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,957 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Yep, Santa Cruz is great for kids. Just don't choose a hotel in the Beach Flats.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Here is a traveler article which describes Santa Cruz and might help you make up your mind.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33048-c133677/Santa-…

Lots to do here.

Level Contributor
34,509 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Santa Cruz is a very fun place! Check out The Dream Inn for a nice place to stay. :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

The Dream Inn is a lovely hotel, but a little pricey. It is just a block from the Boardwalk. We like to recommend that visitors who want to be at the beach stay in the area between the Boardwalk and the Municipal Wharf.

The Dream Inn is at the head of the Wharf and the Seaway Inn is across the street with balconies. This will be less expensive. The Coastview Inn is also in that area. Ocean Pacific Lodge is not at the water, but two blocks back, but also in this area.

There are, of course, many motels in town which require a short drive to the beach.

If you find a lodging which appeals to you and come back here I can tell you about the area it is in.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

I've stayed at both the Dream Inn and Seaway so if you need more info on either of those let me know.

PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

Thank you all very much for the replies & information, I booked a room at the west cliff inn which google says is across somewhat from the dream inn so I think we'll be good.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

West Cliff Inn is a delightful bed and breakfast in a white Victorian "mansion", a Four Sisters property and, yes, is across the street from the Dream Inn. If you have a front room you will have a view of the Municipal Wharf and the Bay.

Good job. Enjoy your trip.

PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

I read some of the reviews from TA and many people recommended room 4 which has an ocean view from the second floor.

When reserving online, you can not specify an exact room number only the type of room. However I called the inn and they told me #4 was available, I made the online reservation and followed their instructions to send them a note from their website, stating I wanted room #4 which you have the option to do after making a reservation and going to the confirmation screen. I called them to follow up and they said they made a note that I was assigned room #4 and not to change it. I will return after my June trip to write a review of the inn, I am really looking forward to it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pass through or two nights in Santa Cruz?

That is great, and thank you for the information. I know you will enjoy it.