We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
411 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Looking for a hotel to stay in while visiting UC Santa Cruz in September. Pros/cons of being near campus?

Don't want to spend more than $150...

suggestions? Places we def should NOT stay?

Thank you!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

The campus is on a hill above town. There are no "cons" for being "near" campus, as there are no motels near the 2000 acre campus.

If you are interested in being within the shortest driving distance then you probably want a motel on Mission Street, (which is Hwy 1 in town) near Bay Street, which leads up to the campus.

I would suggest you look at the Mission Inn and the Sunset Inn for motels in that location. As I said, they are on the main Hwy 1 corridor through town, but look quite attractive. I do not hesitate to recommend them on those merits. Two star, maybe.

The campus is not far from anywhere in town. Your budget of $150 is light for summer. If you can tell me the kind of accommodation you are interested in I might be able to suggest something I could recommend in your budget. Probably not in the summer......let me know.

DO NOT stay in the Boardwalk area south of the Municipal Wharf unless you check with me <grin>.

2. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:12 pm, January 29, 2014
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

I stayed at the Sunset Inn several years ago and as Puter said,, it's probably a 2*, but it felt safe and clean and beds were comfortable. Was by there a couple of months ago and it didn't look any different, so hopefully, that's a good sign.

Didn't someone on the forum the other day mention something on Ocean that was re-opening? or was that too expensive. The Sunset Inn is a convenient location for the college and there are convenient restaurants, groceries, etc. and a direct shot down to West Cliff.

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Trying to stay near campus is a lose-lose proposition. UC is separate from the town and there are no hotels really near there so trying to pick the place that is closest will leave you with very little choice. You won't be near the campus, you will just be "nearer" the campus but not near other good things like restaurants, shops, etc that might be of interest. I'd find a place in town you would like to stay and then drive to campus.

The difference between a typical in-town hotel and one "nearest" the campus will be like a 3 minute difference. There are some wonderful places to stay in Santa Cruz. Let me know what day of the week you are staying as weekday rates can differ from weekend rates at some places. You might also look at the Santa Cruz page of this website (TripAdvisor) as they have all the hotels rated with thousands of reviews.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Took my daughter for a visit to UCSC along with a visit to Santa Cruz. We stayed our arrival night at the Scotts Valley Hlilon that looks like a tudor as described previously. Thought the stay was very comfortable plus you get a private patio or balcony. Who ever gets that ?

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Our actual stay in Santa Cruz that year was at Seaway Inn across the street from the Dream Inn on West Cliff. Comfortable stay with breakfast and afternoon cookies included. This may be odd but the water pressure in the shower was awesome.

http://www.seawayinn.com/

The new hotel is called Paradox and the only way to get it even slightly under $200 was AAA and then it was $184.

http://www.thehotelparadox.com/

Edited: 11:33 pm, August 26, 2012
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

I noticed the Paradox had a pkg called UC Student and also a 20% discount on rates booked 7 days in advance. It's worth calling them to see if you might find a room close to your budget, as they've just opened.

It looks lovely.

Have fun visiting campus; it's magical

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Awesome! Agree re: looking lovely. maybe it will now be in our budget!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

I hope you can get the Paradox for your budget of $150. That WOULD be awesome. As you may know it has just opened after a major rehab. The manager (?) Tony....has a message on the board. You might contact him directly to see if you can get a special.

If not, do look at the Seaway Inn, recommended by suzie. Bay views. It is hard, in a tourist oriented place like Santa Cruz, to predict hotel prices. They go up and down with demand, and demand will be high as UC students and their parents descend for the "move-in".

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Another place to look for is the Babbling Brook Inn B&B on Laurel St. Just minutes from the campus entrance.

I have stayed there a couple times, although not too recently,

In speaking (messaging) with Puter, who knows the area quite well, I feel confident that this place is still of high quality!

Dr, Z

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good hotel for visit to UC Santa Cruz?

Babbllng Brook is definitely high quality. The lowest rate now is $215.

OP wants to pay not more than $150.

Beatrice, can you give me your dates? If so, I can check to try to find you a nice stay within your budget.

Edited: 11:27 pm, September 07, 2012