We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

Thousand Oaks, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

We're spending a Sunday in the area in July. My 14 year-old really wants to spend some time in the forest, as she is a huge nature lover and has never seen redwoods up close and personal. I was thinking Big Basin because I grew up camping there.

I'm hoping to spend the morning in the trees and then the afternoon/sunset on the boardwalk (also a treasured childhood memory). We'll be driving to and from San Jose that day.

Is this possible, or would it be too much? We're travelling with my parents (mid 60's) so the hiking should be easy. Am I biting off too much for one day? Am I better off at BB or Cowell? I've never been to Cowell- does it pack the same impact as BB?

Thanks!

Christy

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

If you want to do the Boardwalk and redwoods in the same day there is no way I would try Big Basin. It is up Hwy 9 on winding roads and takes time to drive back and forth. It would take up all of your time.

Henry Cowell would work nicely. The trees are the same, Big Basin is bigger, but you aren't trying to cover acreage, after all. There is a nice, less than two mile, nature trail through the trees in Henry Cowell from the visitor center, which would be perfect for both you and your 14 year old and your parents, and there are more trails if you wish. The park is only 7 miles up Hwy 9 from Hwy 1 at the River Street intersection in Santa Cruz, on the outskirts of the town of Felton.

redwoodhikes.com/Cowell/San%20Lorenzo.html

Then, to get to the Boardwalk, just come back the way you came, cross Hwy 1 to River Street, turn right at the second stop light on North Pacific; in two blocks at the town clock, cross Mission Street, taking the left fork at a "Y" to be on Front Street. Follow this. It eventually curves right, then left and ends up on Beach Street, half a block from the Boardwalk. There is a parking lot across the street from that.

Enjoy.

Edited: 9:41 pm, June 27, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,357 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

The boardwalk and Santacruz will be crowded on a Sunday so the earlier you leave SJ, finish Henry Cowell and get to the boardwalk the better in terms of parking and the rides

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

Just one minor thing. When you are on the beach in Santa Cruz you face south, not west. You can't watch the sunset from the Boardwalk. I know it doesn't seem right, but we are at the top of Monterey Bay and our beaches face south.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,711 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

Another option is to go to Roaring Camp - ride the train to the Boardwalk and back

http://www.roaringcamp.com/beachtrain

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

While the Roaring Camp train is fun, I don't think it fits into your time frame. Save it for next time if it interests you.

Pacific Ave. is right about the sunset, although we have had some great ones looking West (to the right of the Boardwalk)....but not direct sun-going-down...just beautiful pink skies.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
26,711 posts
5,781 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

Puter:

Let me see - they want to be by a redwood forest in the morning (this works)

They don't want to do a lot of walking due to parents (this also works)

They want to go to the Boardwalk and not deal with Sunday traffic and headache of parking (that also works)

They have all day - this also works

So in short, I agree its an alternative and they can drive and do whatever they want

but your answer it won't work is just plain wrong.....

It was a suggested alternative - and it is a good one to consider....

given their criteria.

It is also a lot of fun!

Edited: 2:04 am, June 28, 2012
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

There are only two trains daily to the Boardwalk. The first leaves Roaring Camp at 10:15 am, the second at 2:15 pm. The return trains are 12:15 pm and 4:15 pm.

8. Re: Redwoods and Boardwalk in one day - is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 30, 2013