We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Santa Cruz

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
safety in Santa Cruz

Wanting to stay in santa cruz for two nights as part of a tour that is for two weeks ,will then be going to yosemite .Is it a safe place to stay ,we are on a budget so looking for a cheap place to stay so we can explore Carmel and the Great Sur

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

Safe in regards to what, tsunami,sharks,crime,....?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

I think Santa Cruz may not be the best base for your Carmel and Big Sur explorations. Some travelers would choose -> Monterey -> Cambria or Morro Bay -> on to Yosemite, maybe one night in Oakhurst outside the South Entrance and -> one night in Yosemite Valley. If you want help with itinerary planning, I suggest you post on the California state forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29

Hopefully Puter will pop in here with low cost accommodation ideas, if you decide to stay in this fun & eclectic town!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

I have stayed at this great Best Western in Aptos. Very nice and reasonabley priced. It's very near Santa Cruz but also could be convenient for the rest of your trip:

http://www.seacliffinn.com/

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

I never cared for Santa Cruz.....traffic, lots of rowdy teens, kind of an ugly town compared to surrounding areas. I've never spent a night there but we always really liked the little town of Capitola.

Santa Cruz, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
223 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz is a safe place to spend a couple of days. Those of us who live here raise our kids without fear. The perception among some is that Capitola or other outskirts are safer, but according to 2010 crime statistics the rate of violent crime in Capitola is 1,100 per 100,000 people, whereas in Santa Cruz it's only 800 per 100,000 people. However, you raise the issue of cost which does factor into safety. The lowest priced hotel rooms in town are in the sketchiest neighborhoods down around lower Ocean, Barson, Riverside, and beach flats. So, you can't have it both ways. If you want a cheap room you will not have the best neighborhoods. Pay a little more and you will be more comfortable. I'm not up on the low end of the hotel rates here so I can't make a specific recommendation. My general advice is that if you are concerned about safety spend the money to feel good on your vacation. Look at the top 5-10 hotels on this website and see who has the best rate.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
13,999 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

No. 1 safety rule in coastal towns: while on beaches, never turn your back on the ocean.

Seriously. California's coast is notorious for undercurrents that can sneak up on people and take them by surprise. So even at low tide, always be aware of what the ocean is doing.

Edited: 2:47 pm, January 16, 2012
luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

thanks for your helpful message ,I live in a town in the UK that is far from the safest place but I have never had any problems ,I love the look of santa Cruz as a place for a couple of nights before heading off to nature ,have never been to california before it has been my dream for years and years and we are starting the trip inSanfrancisco and ending in Vegas so trying to get in a bit of everything .The motel we have looked at is behing the Boardwalk I guess one of the less great spots. I am quite streetwise lived in some so called rough parts in my time ,Santa Cruz looks quite quirky aswell as a seaside location to catch a few rays and take a dip !!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

I do wonder what time of year you will be visiting. Swimming in the ocean is quite cold most of the year.

Yes motels around the boardwalk are a little sketchy. We've stayed at the Seaway and found it to be fantastic. Clean with an outdoor table and chairs to take in the view. Breakfast and afternoon cookies were a great addition. This may sound odd but the water pressure in the bathroom was fantastic.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,584 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

I would not recommend staying in a motel behind the Boardwalk. Behind that is an area called Beach Flats, which are small cottages built as vacation cottages by San Franciscans in the 1920's Some of these now house several families living in them. That area is known for drug traffic.

At the Municipal Wharf end of this beach area you will find the expensive Dream Inn and Surf and Sand, and a Victorian b and b called West Cliff Inn.

Next to that is Seaway, recommended by Suzie-travels. I would highly recommend it as well, as an affordable lodging by the water in a safe area.

Another, between the Wharf and the Boardwalk, which might be more affordable, is the Coastview Inn, which has been recently renovated and had a good review recently.

The main street of Santa Cruz is several blocks from the Wharf and Boardwalk area and is a tree-lined pretty street with boutiques and bookstores and sidewalk cafes, etc. Two blocks off this street there is a Best Western All Suites Inn you might look at. If you are walkers you can without too much strain, walk to the Boardwalk and Wharf from there.

Here is a traveler article to give you more information on Santa Cruz.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33048-c133677/Santa-…

This includes a link to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which is a must if you have children with you....an old fashioned amusement park, not a theme park. There is a link in the above article to its website which will show the seasonal days and hours of operation.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 8:35 pm, January 16, 2012
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in Santa Cruz

It's pretty ugly around the boardwalk. The beach is nice, though, but I don't think you'll be happy staying in a cheap place in that area.

If you could give us an idea of what you want to spend per night, we "might" be able to find suitable lodging for you in the Santa Cruz or Monterey area.

If you're coming in the summer months, expect to pay higher rates.