We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

Just a little FYI to anyone on this forum...Mavericks contest is a go! Head up to Half Moon Bay, park at the airport and a shuttle can take you to the beach for viewing (for afar, but still...)

Should be a gorgeous weekend weatherwise! Come out and see the big boys ride the big waves!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

Big waves....an understatement. Can you imagine sitting on a jetty with some of the biggest surf of the year and not expecting to be swept off?

This belongs in the Darwin Awards....sheesh.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

We watched Mavericks on the web - amazing. It was great to see the surfers taking on the big waves. The one thing was that the waves were larger than anyone expected - 40 - 50 versus 20 to 30, so it did surprise number of attendees and a few got hurt.

Having been to Mavericks Beach on numerous occasions, it surprised me that the attendees were not more aware of the impact of big waves.

The surfers know - there are only a few brave (albeit crazy) people worldwide. Congratulations to the South African who won the race and the 2 local Santa Cruz surfers who came in #2 and #3http://maverickssurf.com/

Congrats to these amazing surfers!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

Puter,

Good one! I agree...I cannot imagine....but I think that comes from the mentality of people who do not understand how the ocean really works...it makes me sooo mad when I'm at the beach and people have such disregard for the power and strength of the water. Darwin for sure!

4. Re: Mavericks is on for February 13th in Half Moon Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 20, 2010