We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dont have a car in santa cruz

starkville,MS
1 post
Save Topic
dont have a car in santa cruz

hi folks,

I will be in santa cruz all by myself during the first week of january and wont have a car. I live close to downtown. I am searching for options for the things i could do in santa cruz. I am 24 years old. I would appreciate suggestions for places i can visit on bus and cab. Is there a way to visit san francisco may be for a day? Like I can take bus or train to san francisco and spent the day there? In that case what can I do once there? well, the questions wont stop.

so any comments wud be of help as I am absolutely clueless about what to do....

ciao,

Abbey.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dont have a car in santa cruz

You can take the Greyhound to San Francisco from the station downtown. There are five trips a day, and you will probably want the 6:35 AM or 10:10 AM one. They take two or three hours.

The latest returning bus leaves SF at 6:15 PM, and arrives in Santa Cruz at about 9 PM. It's $21 each way, according to the Greyhound web site.

http://www.greyhound.com

Cabs are few and far between in SC; the bus runs all over, and you can find schedule information at the Santa Cruz Metro home page:

http://www.scmtd.com/

There are tons of other posts here about what to do in San Francisco. Check the Santa Cruz threads for suggestions along those lines, as well. If you don't give any ideas about your interests, it's impossible for people to know what to suggest, and they will project their own desires onto you. One person might tell you to go to Fisherman's Wharf, while I would only inflict that on someone I really didn't like, as I hate tourist traps with kitschy, overpriced souvenirs. And I might tell you not to miss the Ferry Plaza market, imagining that you are like me, and love to experience food at its best (in beautiful surroundings); the reality could be that you actually think that eating at Denny's constitutes a fine meal.

They really should have guidelines posted at the top of every forum page that posters might indicate their interests and needs when querying. Budget constraints, general tastes, profile of activities sought or desired, that kinda thing. It's good that you stated your age.

Santa Cruz is an easy place to be, especially if you're young and open-minded. You should have fun unless the winter storms are upon us. Even then, you can just hole up in one of the myriad coffee houses downtown, or one of the bookstores. Logos and Bookshop Santa Cruz are great. (See? I'm projecting my love of books onto someone I don't even know the first thing about.)

More about Santa Cruz can be gleaned by paging through the Good Times web site:

http://www.gdtimes.com

It's the local entertainment paper, which comes out weekly. You can learn a lot about SC by checking it out.

Hope that helps!