We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, RI
1 post
Save Topic
Getting around

I'm planning a 6 month to 1 year romp in Santa Cruz starting early June. (from Providence, RI)

Wondering about getting around town. I'm planning to fly out there. Would a Vespa be sufficient to get me around the town? Or is there a lot of highway driving required to get around town?

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

A Vespa probably won't suit the portion of your trip which gets into the winter (rainy) season. A rainstorm on this coast can last two, three, four days. It's usually not a rain shower as much as a deluge. (That's November-December through March or so.)

Depending on the part of town you choose to live in, public transportation can be easy or a pain in the hiney. Downtown Santa Cruz is easy to walk, but congested. In fact, much of the county is congested, as the existing roads cannot really handle the growth in population.

You might want to consider a compact car and a bike. Again, it depends on where you choose to live.

It's wonderful here, traffic notwithstanding. Especially if you are a foodie who loves fresh fruits and vegetables, good wine, and line-caught fish.

California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

There's not many highways in Santa Cruz itself, but if you want to get out of town a highway is pretty much the only way to go. The main route from Santa Cruz to San Jose, San Francisco, and all those areas is a narrow, twisty mountain pass highway.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

There is a single freeway in Santa Cruz: Highway 1 (which runs the west coast from top to bottom). There are smaller highways in the south part of the county, but those won't concern you.

I don't take Highway 17 usually, to get to San Francisco, but take the scenic route up One to Half Moon Bay, then cut over to 280 on Highway 92. Again, this won't concern you.

You're basically asking about the conduits of traffic, and the answer to that is, "A Vespa will do fine, as surface roads are ample. There is no need to get on the highway to get across/around town."

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
200 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

I had a vespa as my main transportation for years in SC. It works just fine as long as you are fine with riding in the rain at times. If you ride in RI, Santa Cruz propaply will not seem to bad (no ice or snow anyway). When I was younger I did ride it to San Fransisco and San Jose but at 37 I think I would want something more supstantial for getting out of town. There are still lots of vespa people in SC.

Ride safe, have fun!