We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or Motel

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Topic
Hotel or Motel

Hello,

On the 12th August I will be visiting Santa Cruz for 1 night, I was just going to book a hotel or motel on arrival. Do people think this will be ok or will i struggle to get in anyway. Can people recommend any good places.

Many thanks

David

Level Contributor
176 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or Motel

I would try to make a reservation in advance, even though a Sunday check-in is not as popular as a Friday, there might be rooms available,but a hotel clerk might overcharge you for a room, better to agree on a rate in advance.

As for hotel recommendations, do you know where in Santa Cruz you'd like to stay? By Boardwalk, by UCSC, Live Oak or Capitola?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or Motel

Since August 12 is a Sunday, you are apt to be able to get a reservation, but you should make it ahead of time. Now is not too soon.

There are many accommodations in the area so it would be helpful to know what area you want to be in.....on the beach? In Santa Cruz itself, (near downtown? near the Boardwalk and Municipal Pier?) or one of the nearby communities...Capitola, Soquel, Aptos....

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or Motel

Thanks for the advice,

We are travelling from SF and working our way down route 1, anywhere that's nice in Santa Cruz really. Where do people recommend to stay,we don't mind a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel to places.

David

Level Contributor
176 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or Motel

Did you ever consider a Bed and Breakfast Inn? There are two B&B's that have received good reviews in Santa Cruz, one is the Babbling Brook Inn, within walking distance to downtown Santa Cruz and a short drive to the beach. The other is the Pleasure Point Inn on East Cliff Dr closer to the area of Capitola and in a residential neighborhood. It's across the street from the ocean, but on a cliff so there's not a beach, but it's a huge surfing area, with beautiful views. You can walk to some smaller local beaches. About a 10 minute drive to downtown SAnta Cruz.

The Sea and Sand Inn 831-427-3400, is a small well maintained hotel on West Cliff Dr overlooking the ocean. West Cliff dr follows the coastline as does East Cliff by the Pleasure Point Inn. Even if you don't stay at either, you should take a drive on these roads.

Although there are several more accommodations in SAnta Cruz(you can read the reviews on Trip Advisor) I've just listed the ones I would personally like to stay in.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or Motel

I definitely recommend the Sea and Sand Inn Everyone I know who has stayed there loved it. It is not a large hotel, but sits on a cliff next to a large one and all of the rooms have views of the bay. You will need reservations way ahead of time, so I would do it now. The larger hotel next door, the Coast Santa Cruz Hotel, has the same views but is more expensive.

The Babbling Brook is an upscale (read expensive) B & B in a nice setting. The Bay Front Inn is not near the bay, but in a cluster of moterls several blocks from there.

There are so many to choose from. Let me know if you have specific questions about those you find.

6. Re: Hotel or Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 03, 2009