We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Lomand German restaurant

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ben Lomand German restaurant

I can hardly believe it's been 25 years, but when I was a student at UCSC in the early 80's we used to eat occasionally at a German restaurant out past Felton, I think it was in Ben Lomand? There were cabins there as well.

Does anyone remember this place, and does it still exist? I'll be travelling to Santa Cruz this summer with my family and thought it would be fun to revisit some old haunts...

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

I bet you're recalling the Tyrolean Inn and Restaurant off Hwy. 9 in the Ben Lomond area. As far as I know they're still in business and serving huge amounts of wienerschnitzel and schnapps! Here's their Website: www.tyroleaninn.com

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

If it was the Tyrolean Inn and Restaurant, it is still there.....9600 Highway 9 in Ben Lomond., 831-336-5188.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

Yes, that's it, the Tyrolean Inn. Can't believe it's still there!

Thanks so much for your help!

Santa Cruz
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

It is terrible - It was a favorite place to enjoy -

New owners, poor management, high pricess, poor services , small portions -parking is good -The other Italian restaurant in Ben Lomand

also has poor service - The absolete best in area

is an Italian restaurant in Boulder Creek called

Scapazzitti (sp) prices, services, portions,flavors atmosphere were great In Felton, great atmoshere is

Ls Brudhetti (sp) great atmosphere, flavor,little pricey, but worth it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

We actually did eat there on our trip and it was definitely not the same in quality or atmosphere. It was kind of dumpy now and the food was not great. I remember it as charming and like a little trip away to a foreign place. I would not go back.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

I haven't been there in years, but I felt it was way overpriced for the quality of the food. Too bad.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

rainsoaked,

Sorry about the disappointment. I imagine you found Santa Cruz, and the campus, changed pretty much since the '80's. Downtown, especially, after the earthquake of 1989.

On the other hand, did you find some new places you could recommend?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

Puter, Coincidentally, I am heading for Santa Cruz this weekend with my teenage son to tour UCSC on Monday. I am hoping for some good restaurant suggestions! We only have two nights and don't really need anything fancy, but local and good. We stayed in Capitola last visit and ate at a terrific taqueria on 41st Ave. And then, our disappointing meal at Tyrolean Inn. (Some things are better left to the memory :-) This time we are staying in Santa Cruz itself.

We did check out the campus briefly on out last trip and the little I saw I found changed, notably the bookstore which I used to love and didn't care much for the new one. And I got glimpses of new buildings. I can't wait to do the full tour and check everything out.

I also noticed the changed look of downtown Santa Cruz, I was at school there before the earthquake. It is just not the same without the old brick buildings and the Cooper House. (Now I'm really dating myself). But I loved seeing how unchanged the town and surrounding area felt in general, it's so beautiful, I can't wait for my visit again this weekend!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

How great that you might be bringing your offspring here.

I have University ties...my husband was Provost of Cowell College 1975-1979. (Omigod, I just revealed my age !)

Not knowing what kind of food you like it is hard to suggest a restaurant.

One place we eat lunch a lot is Tres Pinos, on North Pacific, just past the town clock. Just a simple Mexican family restaurant, but we have a standing lunch order for their tacos Al Pastor and lemonade. I think they make the best soft tacos in the county, and this is a real bargain. I also, one night, had a very good shrimp tostada and they have a special on right now for three taquitos, rice and beans and guacamole and sour cream for $7.99.

We like Rosie McCann's Irish Pub, which is upstairs, overlooking Pacific Avenue, with the pub section in the back. They have comfort food and good salads, and historic photos on the walls.

A kind of hip place is Cloud's Downtown. Young staff, nice atmosphere, good food.

We don't like the restaurant near Hoffman's Bakery which has the name "Bleu" in it. The staff is sexy teenage girls trying to be classy and it doesn't work. Neither does the food.

We also like Vida. which has a nice decor and a small plate menu in addition to their regular one. (They also hire their female wait staff to be 'attractive', but these are smart, as well.)

Actually, Hoffman's Bakery does a very good lunch. Haven't eaten dinner there.

All of the above are on Pacific Avenue except Cloud's, which is half a block off on Church.

If there are any Santa Cruz people following this thread, I am sure they can add to our confusion.

Please report back on your visit. If it doesn't seem appropriate to put it on the forum, just click my 'nom de plume', Puter, and send me a private message. I am REALLY interested in your impressions on the changes in the campus since you were here.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ben Lomand German restaurant

Puter, I meant to report back, time got away from me! We had a terrific stay in Santa Cruz at the Dream Inn. Found the UC campus very much changed with 2 new colleges and some beautiful new classroom buildings. My son loved it but I don't think we are going to cough up the $45,000 out of state tuition for 4 years! He may transfer in as a junior though. It was so nice to be back on the campus, it still looks beautiful!

We ended up eating one night at a terrific little Thai place on Pacific and the other night at Rosie's Pub. The food there was really good, I would encourage people to look past the dubious looking staircase at the entry and go on up!

Thanks for your tips! We enjoyed Santa Cruz and Capitola, and were lucky to have beautiful weather during our stay.