We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

We are spending Memorial Day weekend in Santa Cruz for the SC Blues Festival, and have narrowed our choices for lodging to these three hotels. Any recommendations? I know that the actual festival is in Aptos, at 100 aptos creek rd. and the Rio Sands is less than a mile from there. And the last time we went to this festival, the shuttle buses are a little inconvenient. Thanks for your input!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

I stayed once at the Best Western Seacliff while having some work done on my house. It is very nice. According to my local map it looks to be quite near Aptos Creek Drive, at least where that begins. Another advantage is that the two other motels are on the other side of the freeway, while Seacliff is on the same side. Have you looked at the reviews?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

Yes, I have looked at various reviews, on various websites. We really wanted a little kitchenette and be able to walk to the festival. The reviews are 50-50 on Rio Sands. Some people really hated it, most sound like they were on the bottom floor. BW doesn't have the kitchenette, but it does have restaurant (servinos-which is supposed to be decent). Which side of the road do you mean?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

BW Seacliff is just off Soquel Drive and is less than a mile from where Aptos Creek Drive comes into that. It would be an easy straightforward walk.

Rio Sands is on the other side of Highway 1 near the ocean. It looks to be a little further, but you could probably walk, by taking some residential streets....Aptos Beach Drive to Treasure Island Ave. to Spreckels Road. It looks as if you could cross under the freeway here.

BW Capitola is on 41st Avenue about 4 miles away.

Since you would like a kitchenette and it would be nice to be staying near the ocean and if you don't mind the walk, I might stay at Rio Sands. If you need a good map of the area, AAA has a "Santa Cruz, Capitola and Area" map which is very good and you can look all this up and see what you think.

Let me know if i can be of further help.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

To add.....I looked up the BW Seacliff in my No. Calif AAA Tour Guide and it lists, under " special amenities" full breakfast and high speed internet". Rio Sands has "expanded continental breakfast and high speed internet". Both have outdoor heated pools and whirlpools, Seacliff also has an exercise room.....

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

Thanks! I appreciate your help! Mapquest marks Rio Sands as 3/4 a mile from aptos creek rd. and Seacliff as 1/2. Have you eaten at the restaurant at Seacliff? Severinos?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

Yes, I have eaten at Severino's, but not for some time, so I cannot vouch for its quality now. However, it is very attractive and popular, so worth a shot. The property is not laid out like a motel...you know...a two story rectangular building. It is more separate buildings, with walkways and landscape plantings in between. When I needed to stay there because of home repairs I had a very nice ground floor room with a private patio. I enjoyed my stay...forced as it was <grin>.

You will be almost in the village of Aptos and the historic Bayview Hotel is not far from BW Seacliff. They had a very nice restaurant there the last time I looked, but it is now listed as a "bed and breakfast" so I am not sure they are still serving dinner. Again, worth a shot.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

Swim, I'll be right in that area this weekend. Let me know of specific concerns. I MAY be able to swing by a few places to take a look if you like.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

2Shorties, that is very nice of you...only if you have time. The main concern is Rio Sands really a dump? and can we walk under the freeway at Spreckles road safely (is there a sidewalk?)

Puter, thank you for the all your help too! I had looked at that B&B, if they do serve dinner, I am sure it would be worth the shot. I did read that they are under new ownership. Any good seafood places that you could recommend?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

I haven't eaten there for some time, but Cafe Rio specializes in fresh seafood and it used to be excellent. It is on the beach at Rio Del Mar. www.cafe-rio.com. 831-688-8917. And speaking of "walking distances" I believe it is within that of Rio Sands, if you should decide to stay there.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio Sands Motel vs. BW Capitola or Seacliff?

We had drinks at the Rio Cafe on Friday. Nice enough place but pretty expensive from what I could tell.