We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

I will be following my hubby to Santa Clara for his business trip in February 2007. I do not like sea sports. Could anyone give me some recommendation of places to visit, shop (factory outlet) and dine?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

The most important questions: will you have a car and are you willing to drive? If so, the best outlet shopping is in Gilroy, a 25-minute drive south of Santa Clara on Highway 101. It's huge, and you could easily spend a whole day there if you're a real shopper. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get there via public transportation.

You can take the Caltrain from Santa Clara to San Francisco--it runs many times a day. www.caltrain.com/

Santana Row in Santa Clara is a new, very upscale shopping center. The stores are ridiculously expensive, but it's a nice place to walk around and there are several nice restaurants there.

Mentioned in this post
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santana Row
Santana Row
440 Reviews
San Jose, CA
Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

Hey, thanks for the information. I would like to find out if it will it be more economical if I hail a cab from Santa Clara to Gilroy than to hire a car?

If I take Caltrain to Gilroy factory outlet, it will be from Santa Clara to SF and not to Gilroy?

Any suggestions on the places of interest? We are ready to go outside of Santa Clara as our today stay will be abt 14 days.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

There is no easy public transportation to Gilroy. The Caltrain northbound takes you from Santa Clara to SF. Caltrain runs a train southbound to Gilroy, but it's geared toward commuters and runs to Gilroy only in the evening. A cab would be costly, but if you plan to see more of the area, a rental car makes sense. Besides SF, you might want to visit the Monterey/Carmel area (about a 75-minute drive from Santa Clara--you could stop in Gilroy on the way to Monterey). Monterey has a world-class aquarium and some beautiful places to hike.

Mentioned in this post
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

Hubby & I had decided to rent a car to explore Califonia. Are all rental car companies in USA flexible abt returning the car to a different state/town from where I rented it?

After your recommendeation, I had read about Monterey Aquarium, Canary Row, 17miles Drive & Carmel area. Thanks! As we intend to be in Califonia for abt 14days or more, it will be great if you could suggest more place/things to do to fill up my itinery? I am able to seach for the places in this website, but I am not familiar with the flow from one place to the other. Thus, hope someone could help so that I can have a smooth travel itinery.. if the itinery works for us, I may post it up when we return and let more viewers to share my research.. :)

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Mountain View, Ca
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

Some ideas:

Hakone Japanese Gardens in Saratoga : http://www.hakone.com/

Filoli Center in Woodside: http://www.filoli.org/

Winchester Mystery House in San Jose: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

Stanford Shopping Center has many upscale stores without the crowds of Valley Fair Mall (border of Santa Clara/Sunnyvale)

Mentioned in this post
Filoli
Filoli
388 Reviews
Woodside, CA
Winchester Mystery House
Winchester Mystery House
2,391 Reviews
San Jose, CA
San Jose
San Jose
California
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
California
Sunnyvale
Sunnyvale
California
Toronto
Level Contributor
89 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

Other suggestions (if you are already on your way down to the Monterey area) would be to check out Hearst Castle around the Big Sur area, as well as all the sites in San Francisco. You can look around San Jose (or even go to a hockey game - the Sharks are very good NHL team). San Fran of course has Alcatraz, the trolleys and sea lions at the Wharf. Who can be in the area and forget the Golden Gate Bridge? Also check out the wine country in Napa Valley. Hope that this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Jose
San Jose
California
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
42,467 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
7. Re: Help needed - to plan an itinery in Santa Clara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 26, 2009