We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
386 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

Can anyone recommend a nice, romantic hotel within 25 miles of Santa Barbara that is truly oceanfront? Does such a thing exist, or are they all across the street? I have only been to SB once for a very short visit, and stayed at the Fess Parker which was not at all what I wanted. I guess I am looking for that east coast experience of in-your-face ocean with chairs and umbrellas on the beach. Is there any hope? We have to make another quick trip, and I was thinking of extending it to 3 or 4 nights for a little R&R if I could find something suitable. We are a quiet late-40s couple traveling either September or early October. Thanks so much.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

In the city of Santa Barbara all the hotels are across the street like at the Fess Parkers. Carpenteria I think may have more what you are looking for.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

In the neighboring city of Goleta (~15 minutes drive) there is the very upscale Bacara Resort. I do not know if this is an east coast experience, but the Bacara is definitely on the beach, very romantic, and recommendable, if you can afford it.

Also, just south of Carpinteria there is the Cliff House Inn on the beach with a pool, patio, and restaurant that is wide open to the beach. It is a bit isolated, though. Not as upscale as the Bacara.

There are a few hotels on the beach in Pismo Beach, about 1.5 hours north.

I think the Hotel del Coronado (near San Diego, 4 hours south) might be the east coast experience you're looking for.

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

The majority of the places in SB are across from the ocean. In Pismo, there is the Sea Venture Resort that is directly on the beach. The rooms are nice, there is a restaurant on the property and they give you complimentary beach chairs, surrey bikes and Soft-Tub jacuzzis on your private patio. Have fun! :)

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

The Bacara is a five star property about a fifteen minute drive north of our fair city...it is right on the beach and it's expensive.

sunny regards,

shully

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

How about the Biltmore just south of Santa Barbara in Montecito?

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceanfront hotel vs oceanview?

The Biltmore is gorgeous, but it is also across from the ocean, not directly on the beach. :)