We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to another airport near S.B.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to another airport near S.B.

I am travelling internationally (no booking as yet) and found out to my total dismay that

there are hardly any non-stop flights to S.B. and from to the major cities in the US. The only non-stop flight to S.B. is from Denver but I do not wish to fly into Denver. The question is - is there another airport near S.B (not LAX or SFO) a bit more frequented by airlines, so I could fly non-stop from New York, Washington, Atlanta, Chicago etc. and from there its just a short car drive? Any ideas are more than welcomed.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

Thanks a lot Mach Three, we will be with 3 suitcases maybe 4 (we are staying 6 weeks) , the schlepping to the train is not for us but the Airbus service is something I need to find and check. I appreciate your input.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

Yep, tell me about it. My son decided to take his sabbatical in SB, usually we travel to ORD and its the end of our trip. I was talking to the Swiss agents here about flying to ORD and then to SB they said I can fly to Denver on the same ticket but they will not be able to purchase on this one ticket the next lag to SB, so I am doing calculations of time and money. Meanwhile the dates I wanted are unavailable anymore so I will need to postpone a bit my trip, as we have a saying in Hebrew: Every delay has its merits :).

Thank you and when I finally get a reasonable schedule I will let you know.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

First, Riff hints at a strategy to know about. All the major airlines belong to alliances, and someone who knows how to work them (a reservationist at any of the airlines) should be able to knit together an itinerary in which you are treated as if you are on the same airline all the way. Meaning, they "codeshare" so that you can have one ticket for the whole way, even as you connect from one airline to the next. And your bags are tagged to follow when you check in for your originating flight. You have to keep track of the airlines you are going to be on, but they are usually located near one another in the airports.

Where it is key to keep track is when clearing customs, as more is up to you at that point, as you also have to touch your bags there, even if they're checked. But you'd have to do that however you cross.

OK, second, finally, I suggest that the LAX - Santa Barbara (and -Goleta) Air Bus is made for you. It's $50 pp each way, but would appear to optimize your parameters.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

Thank you Firewind. I did buy a ticket with two stops to LAX with the Star Alliance group and from LAX I definitely will take the Air Bus. I think I saw they charge $100 pp each way or am I wrong? If my flight back from LAX leaves at 10 a.m. what time should I leave with the bus from S.B. considering the heavy traffic on this route?

Edited: 8:41 am, July 07, 2013
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

The last I knew, it was $50 per person, one way. And, sorry to say, I believe that the best advice I could give is to contact Air Bus, and ask them. Then, whatever they say, go down to stay near the LAX airport the night before, anyway. Commute traffic is monumental, and though the bus gets the express diamond lane, it's not all the way through. I couldn't even guess how early one has to leave to be ahead of it. Then add the two hours ahead of the flight at the airport. Remember, I preface this with, "Sorry". But with all this said, once you've got the right plan and are on your way, it really is all very civil.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

Hi again,

Have you looked at the bus schedule? The one that leaves Santa Barbara at 5:50 AM gets to LAX at about 8:15 which might be OK IF everything is on time. I don't know what kind of traveler you are but I'd be a bit worried about that. For peace of mind I'd go the day before and stay near the airport.

BTW there's one bus earlier at 3:50AM .

I suppose there is no perfect solution!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

I tried to edit, but no go. The price is $40 pp ow when there are two people, and I don't see a discount for round trip for two. I was going to mention the 3:30 AM Goleta, 3:50 AM Santa Barbara earliest departure, which is intended to get into LAX at 6:00 AM. If it were anytime but commute hour in the direction of the commute, I'd say no problem. But I don't know if this is early enough. (I did once drive from Ventura to LAX starting at 3:00 AM, and drove at ~ 75 mph the whole way, but I've always held that in awe for the once-in-a-lifetime miracle that it was.)

www.sbairbus.com/pages/display/laxshuttle

[I have no connection with Airbus or the tourism industry.]

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

One other thought: Sometimes offspring have been known to drive their parents on this route, though we are probably in the same boat, as I've never asked this of my Santa Barbara son for some reason..... (Though I've driven him on it countless times on our treks between Boston and Santa Barbara. I digress.)

Edited: 9:36 am, July 07, 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

I know exactly what you mean. I would hate to ask my son to drive us mostly as I know he will get stuck on the way back too. 3:50 is much too early, I will look at hotels near the airport although I think my son will object :) I hate to bother him he is a loving son in all other aspects. Once my husband forgot our passports in his house and we woke him up at 6 a.m. He drove like a madman to the airport (another city) which was one hour drive, he did it in 45 min. and we did not miss the flight.

I thank you and Riff for your help.

Edited: 10:05 am, July 07, 2013
Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Flights to another airport near S.B.

It's ALL about what's at the other end.