We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Posting a postcard

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath
Level Contributor
25 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Posting a postcard

Hi all silly question, can't find the answer on the Internet maybe I'm just wording it wrong.

I'm from the uk so if we want to send a postcard we can either take it to the post office and pay for the item to be sent or buy a book of stamps from anywhere that sells them and then just find a post box, I'm currently in Santa Barbara so what should I be looking for if im looking for a post office? Lol. I want to post to the UK Sorry thanks for your help in advance x

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Posting a postcard

It might be a little late to find a stamp tonight, but usually we get our stamps from a post office. Sometimes hotels, or tourist stores sell them as a convenience, but tomorrow ask at your hotel/motel, or a local on the street in the main part of town where the nearest post office is. You'll have to ask the postal clerk for the correct amount to the UK. The just post it there or in a blue post box on the street

Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Posting a postcard

Here are the locations of PO's in Santa Barbara. The red blocks with white flags in them are actual Post Offices where you can buy stamps and mail items. The other red blocks are places where you can buy first class stamp books. I would recommend going to the Post Office to buy overseas postage for your post card.

https:/…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,430 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Posting a postcard

On vacations I like to mail postcards to our friends in the UK or Europe. Often I don't have time to find a post office on vacation, so I bring my own stamps from home, but you can buy stamps in many places, even front desk of hotels. Leave at hotel desk or drop in a Blue US Mailbox.

A small postcard 6 inches in the US is .33 cents

A large postcard 11 inches in the US is .46 Cents.

To mail a regular postcard from the US to the UK, it cost .90 cents.

Again, I don't have time to stop and get exact postage, so I always put 3 of our postcard stamps on the postcard and mail. I know that's nine cents extra, but not worth the gasoline to drive around looking for a post office, wait in line, just to save a few cents when I'm on a vacation.

Also, there are times when I've only had letter stamps in my purse, so I might use two of them on a postcard.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,519 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Posting a postcard

I think the price went up for postcards & letters from the US to the UK. Check with the postal clerk. (I think it's $1.10 now.)

Do not use Forever stamps on International mail.

5. Re: Posting a postcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 03, 2014