We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

We're spending Spring Break on the Central Coast of California, with the last two nights in Santa Barbara. Our flight out of Burbank leaves at 1:00 pm. I understand the traffic can be murder, so how long should I allow for the drive to get us there in time to return a rental car and check bags? Thanks for the help!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

It's not that bad....but can be.

Take this route....

101 South....23 North (in Thousand Oaks)....it transits into the 118. Take the 118 East

A portion of the 118 starting in the Valley is a Carpool Lane. Take that if traffic gets bogged down. At Interstate 5 take it south until Hollywood Way. Turn right and the airport entrance will be on your right a few miles down.

Note.....there is some major construction going on in that area now but most of the closures and activity is happening at night.

When to leave?? I would probably leave about 9:30 or so. Tune in to 1070 or 980 AM for frequent traffic updates

and KHAY 100.7 for Ventura county traffic conditions. (It's country music)

Dr. Z

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

What is the day of the week you are leaving Santa Barbara to drive to Burbank/

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

We'll be heading to the airport on a Thursday morning. I was hoping to avoid the morning rush hour by not leaving too early. Drill N Fill, thanks for the alternate route info. I'll have to dig out my map!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,239 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

Thursday AM....maybe 9 AM would be better. Traffic will bog down a little a you reach Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo but it shouldnt be that bad. Again....monitor the news channels....

Dr. Z

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

I'd rather be safe, and have extra time at the end. I'd leave around 9 am from Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

Here is a good traffic website: sigalert.com/…2

7. Re: How Long to Drive From Santa Barbara to Burbank Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 22, 2014