We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Hello,

This will be my first visit to Santa Ynez and need recommendations for tasting rooms. We're interested in only reds and want to visit lesser-known wineries that have been in the area a long time. Please no corporate, mass-production winery recommendations. Thanks!!!

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Hi,

When going to Santa Ynez you must go to Rusack Winery, wonderful reds a beautiful location my absolute favorite. Their Anacapa is amazing. Pierre La Fond is also lovely with some great reds also. Beckman and Babcock are more favorites of mine. Bridlewood had nice reds and beautiful grounds. Fess parker is another, on the larger side but for reds, good. And although I don't like him personally his wines are quite good.There really aren't any huge corporate tasting rooms up there (I guess Meridian but I've never been there). Even the larger tasing rooms are very comfortable and cozy. For good fun and a great gift shop, Buttonwood. I really like their Merlots also.

Have fun

Seattle
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Try the Fess Parker Wineries. I had some of the merlots and cabs, and they are great. The owner is Davy Crockett himself (hence, Fess Parker) Food is great at the hotel, and have some good packages. Usually, there's deals at Expedia.

Don't forget to check out the Hitching Post for some great steaks.Filet Mignon is one of the bests.

Level Contributor
36,963 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Arthur Earl is a small, boutique winery, they have an excellent Syrah there. You can also taste some very good Syrah at the Los Olivos Cafe. Bernat Syrah can be found there, made by the owner of the restaurant. They also have a tasting bar and a nice wall of wines there. Cheers! :)

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

If you go to the town of Los Oliivos (in the center of wine country here) you will find many tasting rooms that are small with alot of great small restaurants close by. I'd go to Melville for Pinot Noirs and Foley next door for Pinot and Chardonnay. Both are on the expensive side for their wines but have gorgeous new tasting rooms that are off the beaten track.....

Buttonwood is probably the least expensive bottle wise and has decent wine. There are several other wineries on the same road such as Rideau (fantastic wines) Lincourt and Blackjack.

Rusack is definately the spot for a picnic as it is quiet and their wines are wonderful. Beckman has great syrahs and is also a small quiet place just outside los olivos...there are so many wineries these days it's even hard for me (a member of many wineries here) to keep track!

Beware too that most all the wineries have just raised their tasting price to $10 per person...you get to keep the glass...big deal.

Sunny regards,

shully

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

one more thing...didn't mean to intimate that Melville and Foley are in Los Olivos...they are not! They are way out of town about seven miles from Solvang.....the tasting rooms in Los Olivos represent a lot of the wineries such as Carina, Andrew Murray which both have killer Syrahs.

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
432 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

just visited Jaffurs (great Syrah), they have the nicest people working there. not the greatest of locations but worth it....

we also went to Whitcraft, again nice, nice people & great wine!

jaffurswine.com

whitcraftwinery.com

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

How far north is Laetitia? 1-2 hours?

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

Laetitia is just past Nipomo (about 45 minutes FURTHER NORTH of the Solvang/Santa Ynez area) right off Hwy 101. Nice winery, just not in the Santa Ynez area.

Another winery to try in Santa Ynez area would be Sunstone Winery. Their tasting room is cave-like and very nice (and cool during hot summer days). I think it's all organic and the reds are wonderful.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

My favorites are Gainey (http://gaineyvineyard.com/) and Buttonwood (www.buttonwoodwinery.com/tastingroom.html).

10. Re: Wineries & Tasting Rooms???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, August 13, 2009