We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cali trip without a car.....

Memphis, Tennessee
2 posts
Save Topic
Cali trip without a car.....

My husband and I want to plan a trip to The best California city to navigate w/o a car. We are interested in good food, wine tasting, the beach and nightlife. What cities are recommend and what area in those cities will offer us the best walking/ bike riding access to everything. We aren't opposed to day trips if there is a travel option other than renting a car. Thanks for any help!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Plenty of Train/Rail options south of Santa Barbara.

The Greater Los Angeles Area, which includes 5 different counties in the Southland has the METROLINK Train system.

The County of Los Angeles has multiple METRO Rail Line, and some special express bus service that has their own roadways.

San Diego County has the COASTER Train that goes up and down the coast, and the San Diego Trolley (light rail) that covers a large part of Central and Southern San Diego County. Alas, the light rail SPRINTER system in Northern San Diego County is currently closed due to break issues, expected to return in about 4 months, maybe a bit less.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187744/Califo…

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Abe tell your wife I LOVE the name Autumn! Years ago, I remember being in a park and there was a father and a daughter playing together and she was so beautiful, they both were really. THEN he called for her and it fit her perfectly. Strange how small things can make such a memorable impact. This is the first time I've seen the name since then. Very pretty.

Latoya-by chance have you done any research regarding CA.? All your requests can be met if you visit the entire state. If transportation without a car is your priority then San Francisco is your place. How long IS this trip?

Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

belomiser is right, that wasn't a suggestion to go there for the day. You'd spend first half the day on the train, get to SF and board the train right back to Santa Barbara, nice day trip. Latoya was asking about good cities around California without a car and SF is one of those. But for wine tasting Santa Barbara is great as you don't even have to leave the city, they're within walking distance. My post was assuming that coming from Memphis they'd want to see more than one or two cities in SoCal?

Abe and Autumn

www.asquaredadventures.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,480 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Just as other posters and I would not advise a day trip to San Francisco, I would also not advise a day trip to San Diego. It is just too far a distance with a car or by train to drive and get back to Santa Barbara for a day trip.

I think anyone reading this post would get completely confused with all these journeys and trips which suggest they are day trips.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

OK, looking at the Southbound Santa Barbara Trains, you have one at 6:43 AM and one at 9:24 AM, return trains arrive back at Santa Barbara at 5:54 and 9:58 PM.

So you can easily take a day trip if you catch the first train in the AM and use the last return to SB to visit much of the Southern California area.

Why San Diego would only allow you a few hours, places like Downtown LA/Hollywood, Anaheim, San Clemente and Oceanside are very doable.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Love it..... Get up at 5:30 to catch a 6:43 train then get back to your hotel at 11 PM. Sounds very relaxing.....

Skip that day trip

Dr. Z

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Santa Barbara is a great city to visit without a car. Nearly all of the city's best restaurants, bars, tourist sites, theaters, museums, parks and many beaches are all within walking distance of each other or after a short bus or bike ride. Day trips are possible to the Santa Ynez Valley vineyard wine country by guided tour. The city's road layout is unique, but not complicated. There are good bike lanes on some roads and along the beach. There are mountain hikes that can be accessed by taxi. Farther day trips to other nearby cities require a car.

San Francisco is another great city to visit without a car. Very dynamic, robust city, with something happening, something to see 'round the corner. Many TAs even say to ditch the car when visiting SF. San Francisco is a large city. You will want to get in a taxi, or bus to get a comprehensive view. SF's transit system is itself a tourist attraction. The bike ride from Fisherman's Wharf to Sausalito via the Golden Gate Bridge, then back on the ferry, is a memorable experience.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,411 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

Maybe its just me.... but I don't read the OPs post as asking about day trips from Santa Barbara despite her other post that says they are planning a trip to Santa Barbara.

First she says "My husband and I want to plan a trip to The best California city to navigate w/o a car."

San Francisco would be my answer.

Then "We are interested in good food, wine tasting, the beach and nightlife"

Other than "the beach", I'd answer, San Francisco.

Then "What cities are recommend and what area in those cities will offer us the best walking/ bike riding access to everything"

Well still San Francisco and probably The Embarcadero would be my area to stay or maybe the Marina.

And finally in her OP, "We aren't opposed to day trips if there is a travel option other than renting a car. "

Well that is your day trip to Napa for wine tasting on a tour.

She did ask in her other post if Santa Barbara was like Key West (which made me almost choke on my coffee), but I think she meant to post this specific question in the CA forum, not the SB forum.... or not.

19. Re: Cali trip without a car.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 17, 2014