We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
941 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

My husband, myself and two boys ages 20 / 16 will be stopping in Santa Barbara on a 10 day trip to California. What are some must sees and dos, unique restaurants, etc. we are staying at the Harbor View Inn. I would like to see as much as we could n the short amount of time. I would like to walk around State Street and any other little areas. Thankful very much.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

At the Harbor View Inn, step out your door and you will be at the foot of Stearns Wharf and the Harbor. Walk Stearns Wharf for a great view of boats in/out of the harbor and SB from the water. There are three restaurants, fish/chips, an ice cream shop, candy store, a tackle shop, trinket shops, palm reader, a boat taxi and a small marine museum on the Wharf. The best restaurant on the Wharf is probably S.B. Shellfish-great views but limited seating. http://www.stearnswharf.org/merchants.php

Walk the Harbor area and out onto the breakwater for a pleasant stroll and for a view of a working harbor, the Wharf and the city. The Harbor has about 5 restaurants - the best is probably Brophy Bros, which is one of S.B.'s best view restaurants (seafood). There are kayak rentals, another small museum and a marine supplies store, there. santabarbaraca.gov/Government/…

At the Harbor View Inn, you are at the start of lower State St south of the Hwy 101. This section of State St. is a bit of an enigma, as the economy and development issues have allowed this area to become a bit of a dead zone. While not blighted there is a lack of commercial development here that is surprising for such valuable land. Once you get north of Hwy 101 you'll be on lower State St, which is where the bar/club scene is. Farther up State St around the Arlington Theater it gets a bit more sedate and dining is consistently better. Make use of the 50¢ State St. daytime shuttle bus to shorten the walk.

(allow me to return to this topic, later... and bumping this post to let other TAs see the question.)

Edited: 1:16 pm, December 18, 2012
Level Contributor
35,482 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

You will love Harbor View Inn! If you like to bike ride, there is a really nice path to ride right across the street. You can rent bikes right around the corner from the HVI.

www.santabarbara.com. Happy Travels! :)

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

Thanks guys it sounds so great, can't wait!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

In addition to the Wharf and Harbor, I suggest you visit the Mission. ...great California history lesson. $5 to visit the garden, museum, cemetery, & church. (It's too far to walk from the HVI.)

Visit the County Courthouse - one of the prettier working courthouses. Go up to the clock tower for a 360° 3d story view of the city. Free guided tours.

If you enjoy walking, ride the shuttle up to the Art Museum, to visit the Courthouse and then walk back to the Harbor View along State St. taking in the many opportunities for parks, history, art, shopping, lunch and dinner, on your way back.

There are a lot of great restaurants in Santa Barbara. May I suggest these as unique options: Palace Cafe (Cajun cookin'); Zaytoon (Lebanese cuisine); Jeanine's (good cafe in the unique La Arcada shopping/dining mall); Brophy Bros. (seafood, lively atmosphere, good harbor, but long waits). For Italian food there's Olio e Limone, Trattoria Vittoria, Ca Dario. French - Bouchon, Petit Valentien, Japanese - Arigato.

If you are intrepid bikers, bike all the way to Butterfly Beach in Montecito by turning right onto Channel Drive to pass by the cemetery, onto the bike path and down the hill to Butterfly Beach.

http://www.santabarbaramission.org/ http://www.santabarbaracourthouse.org/sbch/ http://www.laarcadasantabarbara.com/

Edited: 3:03 am, December 19, 2012
5. Re: Santa Barbara for a day during Christmas week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2013