We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too much for one day?

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too much for one day?

Day one of our highway 1 trip will be Santa Monica to Santa Barbara. This is the plan. Leave hotel drive Tpanga Canyon Scenic Drive, cut over to Malibu canyon road on the way back towards Highway 1. Photo Stop at Point Dume State beach in Malibu. Photo Stop at Surfers Point Park. Possible stop at Seal rookery overlook. Late lunch at La Super rica Taqueria. Catch the 2:00 Courthouse tour. Then swing Stearns Wharf for the 4:00 Land Shark tour. If we haven't done it yer, check into hotel. Then drive back to Carpenteria for Avocado fest to grab a bite for dinner and enjoy the evening entertainment.

Is this too much? Have we missed something?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too much for one day?

I guess if you keep moving you can complete everything on your list. Where are you staying, SB near Stern's Wharf or near Carpenteria?

Seems like you are not going to the SB Mission, it's a lovely place to take photos..

Haven't heard of the Avocado Fest, sounds like fun.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too much for one day?

Be aware that Super Rica sometimes has long waits, very popular.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too much for one day?

I think that is doable.

Level Contributor
36,201 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too much for one day?

Sounds very busy but doable! Santa Barbara is a beautiful area to spend time in! :)

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too much for one day?

Thanks for the advice. we will try to leave extra time for Super Rica. Is there someplace else to stop?

Level Contributor
36,201 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too much for one day?

SB Shellfish on Stearn's Wharf is very good with pretty views. :)

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this too much for one day?

I asked a friend about the seal rookery at Tar Pits Park. Here is her response. She added info about special birds:

This time of year the beach is open to walkers and dogs so though the seals come it isn't in big numbers. You can usually see them off shore looking to see if the coast is clear. At high tide it is hard for people to walk around the point to the seal beach so maybe there will be some on shore. There was a kite on the bluffs day before yesterday and we had an eastern white ibis in an agricultural pond since Sept.23(I saw it on the 30). It was the first time one was seen in Santa Barbara county.

Edited: 11:12 am, October 04, 2012
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this too much for one day?

I like your vacationing style. You've researched your routes and a few sites. It appears you like to wander around, like I do. The Santa Monica Mtns National Recreation Area is a great playground - beaches, hiking, and mtn biking. Your day as scheduled is doable. The wandering route you appear to have mapped will probably take twice as long vs a straight trip, but seems like you like that.

You'll find photo opportunities on your trip, but IMO you'll have to work a little harder to get the wall worthy shot at a place like Surfers Point. While the SM Mtns NRA is a lot of fun, the broad landscapes aren't as Nat Geo picturesque as other areas in California.

For sunning and playing in the water I like Sycamore Cove State Beach or Zuma Beach. Leo Carrillo Beach is pretty. I like hiking at Malibu Creek and Sycamore Canyon for mtn biking. The creek will probably not have much water, though. You can see the remains of the M.A.S.H. TV show on the creek hike. Cowboy movie sets are available at Paramount Ranch.

I image searched Santa Monica Mtns and did find good pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+monica+mountains&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7KptUJO9D-P42QXUt4DACg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=751

http://www.calflora.net/wildplaces/index.html

plate-tectonic.narod.ru/smephotoalbum.html

If you like luffa farms, you might like Santa Barbara Orchid Estate. The SBOE is one of the oldest orchid nurseries in California. (My father-in-law wasn't impressed-it's a bit run-down), but if you're a connoisseur of orchids you might enjoy the variety of orchids they have on display. Island View Nursery is basically a garden knick-knack store and plant nursery, but it is interesting for a short visit. There is a miniature horse farm at Quicksilver Horse Farm near Solvang. I believe tours are possible.

(I try to avoid critical comments, but....) I wouldn't depend on finding great food from the street food fair that is the Carpinteria Avofest. Even the guacamole isn't that great. You won't be served the prize-winning guac unless you're one of the judges. The music will be fine though. There are good restaurants in Carp. The guacamole is very good at Super Rica, as are the enchiladas and vegetal tamales.

Other recommendable tourist destinations on your route include Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Venice Canals, Getty Center, Getty Villa, Santa Barbara Mission, Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, Lotusland, Casa del Herrero, Santa Barbara Zoo.

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this too much for one day?

gnahcd,

thanks for taking the time to give me such great advice. you are right, we like to wander and try a lot of different things. We will try to squeeze a few of your suggestions into our busy day.

thanks again

10. Re: Is this too much for one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 15, 2013