We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch stop between LAX and SB

We will be landing at LAX around 11a.m. and heading up the PCH to SB. Since we're arriving from Chicago I think we'll be looking for lunch before we get to SB, any suggestions for something along the way? Also, is it a good idea to take the PCH as opposed to heading up 101?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Landing at 11, waiting for luggage, taking shuttle to rental car location, getting your car and heading out. May well be 12:30 or 1 by the time you start driving What time do you want to eat? PCH vs. 101 would be for scenery, not time, and that mainly north of Santa Monica. You could take the San Diego Freeway to the 10, and that to PCH, through Malibu. You could lunch around LAX or even in Malibu. You'll see places along the road. Even if you take the PCH you'd likely rejoin 101 around Oxnard/Ventura. I've done it and enjoyed it as a change of pace, but I think 101 would be quicker (in which case I'd probably eat before getting on the 405).

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

I'm thinkin' lunch around Malibu would be better than lunch around LAX, any suggestions?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Malibu Country Mart for an upscale "food court" kind of experience that includes many options and is quick. Duke's for lunch in Malibu is fun too, as is Paradise Cove.

In Oxnard, there are a number of nice restaurants down town, in the newly renovated Heritage Square area. Highly recommend Fresh and Fabulous on A near Fourth (not far from the Carnegie).

In Ventura, Dargan's Irish Pub, one block off California and Main, is also quite good and fairly quick.

Problem with waiting to SB, if you are hungry (we're going there tonight but opting not to eat there) is that if a restaurant is good, it is crowded, and this seems to really slow down service times (and there's a wait for a table). Parking is...well, it is what it is in SB, and it's never great, so one tends to go to one's lodging and check in (and you may be starving by then).

There are many other Malibu options (I think the new Nobu is now open), but our go-to place is Country Mart.

I would take PCH. If you eat in Malibu, you can short cut by not going through Oxnard by turning on Las Posas Road just as the freeway ends and going up to the 101 in Camarillo.

Hopefully, you've got a map of the area!

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Thanks, the Country Mart sounds perfect although I love Dukes (didn't know there was one in Malibu) but that would really slow us down! How is the traffic between Malibu and Oxnard on the PCH (this would be a Thurs. early afternoon)? Is Las Posas Rd. a better short cut than Rice Rd. to avoid the Oxnard traffic? I really appreciate the input never having driven this area before. Yes, I've been checking out maps and will have one when we travel!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

I'd recommend the Malibu Seafood Market - great fresh fish and ocean views (or take it to go).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

In case you are hungry after you land, and it's 3 PM to your stomach by the time you rent your car and get on the road, I'll suggest Dinah's Family Restaurant near LAX, on your way to Santa Monica, etc.

http://www.dinahsrestaurant.com/aboutus.html

Still family owned since 1959.

Montecito...
Level Contributor
13 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

The Real Deal Says - NO NO NO NO No. There is only one place to eat going north on PCH and that is Neptunes Net in north Malibu. It is the best Biker bar fish fresh or fried with chips restaurant which look over the sea and 20-30 beautiful harleys and you can say you ate at a California Biker Bar. Great fun and easy on and off and if time seems to be your issue you can be in and out quickly.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Regarding routes:

I always take Rice Avenue, but I am hoping the person who recommended Las Posas comes back...if it is a better shortcut, we'd like to know it! (Take one or the other; don't get stuck in Oxnard town traffic).

Leaving LAX, it hardly seems worthwhile getting on the 405 to the 10 west. Why not just take Sepulveda Blvd. North leaving the airport, and then take a left on Lincoln Blvd. Get on the 10 west at Lincoln, which will turn into the PCH very shortly. Traffic can be bad on Lincoln, but is rarely worse than the 405 and the 405/10 interchange.

Chicago 'burbs
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

I love the directions suggestions, thanks. As for the lunch part, I think Neptunes Net or the Seafood Market are good ideas, I'd really like a water view for lunch. I checked out Country Mart and realized it's a shopping center and that would really set us back time-wise ('cause I can't resist shopping)!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch stop between LAX and SB

Dukes works for the view; food is chain-restaurant okay. Relaxing setting.