We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me narrow down my wineries!

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help me narrow down my wineries!

Heading to Solvang next month and I may not have time to visit all of these wineries. Can you tell me which ones are not to be missed and which I can pass on if time is running short? Feel free to add any other gems I may have missed. Thanks!

Foxen Vineyard, Rusack, Cambria, Sanford, Firestone, Andrew Murray, Fess Parker, Kalyra, Sunstone

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Don't miss the Qupe' tasting room in Los Olivos if you like Syrah.

Fess Parker has a great picnic area and very friendly staff.

Our favorite winery that we visited last March in the area was Rancho Sisquoc for its beauty and isolation and rustic charm. The wines were darn fine too.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Keep Andrew Murray. Arthur Earl is also very good. :)

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Agree with Supercilious about Rancho Sisquoc, very lovely property.

Seattle
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

What about in Santa Barbara proper? We'll only be driving through and would love to stop in or around SB.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

The vineyards are in Northern Santa Barbara County, not in the city itself. There are tasting rooms downtown however:

http://www.urbanwinetrailsb.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

The good news is that I'm from Eastern Washington and volunteer at several wineries so I don't need the ambiance that others might. I'm just looking for good wines to bring back and impress the neighbors. Are any of those on the list favorites or are there some to eliminate up front?

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

I would also check out Gainey Vineyards. ;)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Thank you for the suggestions . We're actually staying in Solvang for 2 days and have only a day in SB itself so the Los Olivos/Solvang area is ideal.

Tacoma Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Chech out Blackjack Winery. Near Solvang. Has an extensive tasting (11 wines?) some as old as 2003. All are excellent, especially Pinot Noir and Cab Blends.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me narrow down my wineries!

Mergall, of those on the list, I liked Andrew Murray and Fess Parker best -- FP probably because I had the coonskin cap and flintlock "ol' Betsy" cap rifle when I was growing up and still know most of the lyrics to the "Ballad of Davy Crockett."

But for great wines that will impress your wine buddies, I'd head up 101 to the Paso Robles and bring back Linne Calodo (zin and Rhone blends), Tablas Creek (Rhone varietals -- it's owned by the Beaucastel folks. 'Nuf said) and Adelaida (former Hoffman Mountain Ranch vineyards that made some great pinots in the '70s. Still excellent!