We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

Between these 2 hotels. which would you choose? They seem to be near each other but I am wondering if it is worth the extra $$ to stay at the Harbor View Inn? Any pros/cons for staying at one vs the other?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

How big is the difference? $30 difference I'd go with the Harbor View, $70 difference I'd go with the Oceana, in between those price points is a personal judgment.

The Harbor View is nicer, how much is a judgment call.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

The difference is $170 and the Hotel Oceana includes breakfast. Some of the descriptions of the Hotel Oceana describe it as motel like so I wasn't sure how much nicer Harbor View is. If I do pick Oceana, any suggestions on which building/room to pick? We are looking at a king with sleeper sofa.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

I meant 178 difference for all 3 nights.

Level Contributor
36,926 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

We loved the Harbor View! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

I like the Harbor View, but a difference of $60 a night, I'd be inclined to go with the Hotel Oceana. I assume you are not lounging around the pool all day and will be out sightseeing so it is just a place to spend the night. $60 would go nicely towards good meals.

I'd also probably skip the continental breakfast and get a real breakfast at one of the great breakfast places in SB especially Sambo's since it is the only one left.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

Hi vacation,

I am with Scott on this one. The Hotel Oceana is very nice and if you want a spa treatment you can schedule one at the spa at the Harbor View which is next door, you don't have to be a guest at the Harbor View to take advantage of their nice spa treatments.

Scott's suggestion of Sambo's is a good one, it's a fun place to eat. They have a nice little outdoor area and pretty nice booths inside. Their breakfast selection and prices are pretty good too. I like their yogurt/granola/fruit breakfast, but most cannot resist those Sambo pancakes which are pretty yummy. It's like a blast from the past for sure!

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

***Their breakfast selection and prices are pretty good too.***

I don't know... I thought a $50.00 breakfast at Sambo's was kind of silly myself. OK we did have a Bloody Mary & Mimosa, but $50.00 for coffee shop food? lol

Back to Jeanine's. :)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

Ha, as I was reading this to suggest the Oceana Hotel having lots of value for the better price, I was thinking of mentioning Sambo's restaurant down the street. We first went there for breakfast one of the mornings, in the mid 60's, on our Honeymoon, and have loved it since then. No matter what meal you choose, it's got a lot of history there.

http://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

Don't know how you spent $50 for breakfast beachbum. We get one of the breakfast specials for under $10 and a cuppa. : )

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

Well, obviously we didn't have the breakfast specials. lol

I think I had a crab omelet or benedict, DH probably had the usual scrambled eggs with bacon or something, MAYBE coffee( but I don't think so) plus the 2 drinks. Voila! I just remember giggling over $50.00 at Sambo's?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harbor View or Hotel Oceana?

>>>but $50.00 for coffee shop food? lol<<<

Hello! Its Sambo's! Where else can you get tiger butter to put on your pancakes! :)