We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

How would one make the connection from the airport (LAX) to the Amtrak station. What's the best way to reserve the train tickets; on line or at the station? Has anyone done this and can offer advice, suggestions? Have read that the Amtrak route is very scenic option to renting a car.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Hi Judieb,

To answer the first part of your question....you can make the connection from LAX to the Union Station in LA by using Flyaway bus service from LAX to the Union Station. You board this bus on the lower level of LAX, it runs approx. every 1/2 hr. Coordinating your flight, collecting your luggage and then catching the bus AND coordinating the Amtrak schedule with your schedule might become a bit challenging, but depending on your flight schedule you may be able to do it. You can reserve Amtrak online, but again if you have any issues at LAX that slow you down it might get tricky. There are other options that are very easy and convenient when traveling from LAX to SB. The one we use is Roadrunner Shuttle which picks us up at our gate at LAX and delivers us to our door in SB and the same when we are traveling out of SB.

I am not sure the scenic Amtrak route would be worth all the effort it would take to coordinate it. If you were flying into John Wayne Airport, you could walk to the Amtrak train pickup point, but LAX is a different story.

If you decide to check other options, and I agree that renting a car and dealing with LA traffic after a long plane ride is not ideal, the Roadrunner Shuttle number is 1-800-247-7919. I think you would be pleased not only with the services they offer, but the competitive prices.

Hopefully you will get other opinions.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

The FlyAway bus is the best way to reach Union Station (the main Amtrak station in LA) as mentioned above. It costs $7 per person, runs every 30 minutes most of the day (every hour late evening etc.) and takes around 45 minutes to reach Union Station at most times of the day. The FlyAway buses have luggage compartments beneath the bus so they are a lot less hassle for dealing with your luggage, etc.

Info on the FlyAway bus can be found here - http://www.lawa.org/flyaway

Note that there are FlyAway buses to four destinations - so when you arrive at LAX be sure to board the bus that goes to Union Station and not one of the other three destinations.

Another option would be to bypass Amtrak entirely and use the Santa Barbara Airbus http://www.sbairbus.com/ which has regularly scheduled service directly between LAX and Santa Barbara.

illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Thank-you SantaBarbaraBeachgal and MachThree for your through and prompt replies; I think Amtrak is out. The shuttle or airbus sound much more appealing. I will research both to determine which is better for my needs.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

FYI, John Wayne Airport (also known as Santa Ana/Orange County), and all other 4 area airports (LGB, LAX, ONT and BUR) also do not have an Amtrak Station that is next to the Airport.

Bob Hope/Burbank (BUR) does have an Metrolink Train Station next to it that could take you to Union Station, where you could catch the Amtrak.

But this is just a side comment to correct the statement above, nothing to do with the Original Question.

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
833 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

I would recommend the Air Bus http://www.sbairbus.com/

It is a really easy option and nice comfy bus ride. Have a great trip!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

I stand corrected, Bob Hope Airport/Burbank does have an unmanned Amtrak Station (same station as the Metrolink Station) that has 6 trains daily that go from BUR to Santa Barbara.

amtrakcalifornia.com/index.cfm/…

amtrakcalifornia.com/index.cfm/…

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Darkbeer,

Thank you for the correction, my mistake. I am quite sure that Bob Hope Burbank, not John Wayne as previously stated, does have a station about a 5 minute walk from the airport and that Amtrak Pacific Surfliner stops there. This may be something that is fairly new. I have a friend who did this, the coordinating of flight times with Amtrak pickup times was somewhat inconvenient and she said she probably wouldn't do it again:-)

One more little comment re: SB Airbus versus Roadrunner Shuttle....the convenience of being picked up at the gate and delivered directly to our front door sold us on Roadrunner. SB Airbus is a great company and we used them for years, but they have one drop off point in SB which is the Mar Monte Hotel and from there you have to take a taxi to your home.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Thanks again Darkbeer......we were posting at the same time:-)

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
833 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

Thanks for the info about RoadRunner Shuttle vs. Airbus SBbeachgal - I didn't know that they provided door to door service at RoadRunner. That does should better.

illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: amtrak from lax to santa barbara (montecito)

What we finally decided to do was fly into Santa Barbara airport connecting on LA. Rented a car in Montecito and had the freedom to thoroughly visit the area Found a wonderful garden apartment that I would recommend to couples looking for self appointed accommodations in a small, private and cultured area. Great to be away from a large Midwest city for awhile!

We stayed here 8 days during the end of April 2011. Weather was mild in the 70's. One bedroom apt on ground floor of owners house. There is a full kitchen, completely equipped.The apartment opens directly onto the patio into a BEAUTIFUL, lovingly maintained garden. The focal point is a huge lemon tree. There is short 5-10 mn walk to Butterfly Beach. Santa Barbara is about a 10 mn drive north. A great location to visit the Santa Ynez mountain area.Check this listing for more details VRBO Listing #290639