We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Brisas del Mar or Casa del Mar for December?

San Carlos, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Brisas del Mar or Casa del Mar for December?

I am planning a 3 day December trip to SB for my family of 4 and have been having trouble choosing between two lodging options. We have reservations now at both Brisas and Casa del Mar for suites (we like to have at least two rooms for sleeping so don't have to bunk with the kids) but I am concerned that neither will be pleasant based on posted reviews.

Any suggestions on which to choose (or not choose)?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Brisas del Mar or Casa del Mar for December?

Wow, that Sep 5th TA review of the Brisas is vicious. It's hard to reconcile that review with most of the others, especially those that loved the place. But did you notice that a pair of the glowing reviews had the same closing line? hmmm...

The Brisas finished a remodel about a year or so ago, and it does look inviting. But I can't say whether the remodeling belies any plainness of the rooms. The Brisas is on Castillo St, a busy street with a number of hotels.

I've put up some friends at the Casa del Mar. I chose the Casa because, when I shopped it initially, I thought the landscaping gave it a bit of charm, the price was acceptable, and the place is clean. That holds true, despite that I was a bit disappointed in the room they gave my friends. It was a bit claustrophic - narrow and needed more windows. Don't worry if you miss the wine & cheese.

Between these two the Casa is better located - quieter and closer to the beach.

If you've gotten the right price, these hotels would probably be okay. If you can get an equivalent or better price on a better hotel, then try the better hotel.

Here are some places in the beach area that I think might be better than your two choices and might be the same price.

Old Yacht Club Inn - romantic, seems a good value, less expensive rooms might be small, might be too romantic for the kids.

Cabrillo Inn - lower priced, plain furniture but with a beach view.

Eagle Inn - 1 TA review didn't like the propietor, but you're not sleeping with him. The website makes the place look pretty good. I checked for 3 nights starting on Dec 15, & got quoted a 2 dbbl bed room and a king w firepl & balcony for $115. I think this is the place.

Harbor House Inn - wkend prices are high, but nicely furnished rooms.

Otherwise, in the beach area, you have the higher priced options of the Harbor View Inn, Hotel Mar Monte, Fess Parker Red Lion, Four Seasons Biltmore.

Level Contributor
37,155 posts
954 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Brisas del Mar or Casa del Mar for December?

I'll ;ut in a plug here for the Harbor View Inn. Check their website for winter rates, we stayed in an oceanview room that came with breakfast each morning at Eladio's for a great price. Beautiful property, right across from Stearns' Wharf. Have a great time in SB and let us know how it goes! :)

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Brisas del Mar or Casa del Mar for December?

I've lived in SB for 25 years. I haven't put up family or friends at either of these places, but my gut instinct says to go with Casa Del Mar. I'm basing this on their location, their look on the outside, and their website. Brisas is a 3 or 4 star hotel, so it should be fine also. Don't let reviews put you off; everthing is relative and some people have higher expectations than others. Have a great time!